If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.



Church of St Augustine, Brookland

Description: Church of St Augustine

Grade: I
Date Listed: 9 June 1959
English Heritage Building ID: 175493

OS Grid Reference: TQ9894925807
OS Grid Coordinates: 598949, 125807
Latitude/Longitude: 50.9973, 0.8339

Location: High Street, Brookland, Kent TN29 9QR

Locality: Brookland
Local Authority: Shepway District Council
County: Kent
Country: England
Postcode: TN29 9QR

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Brookland, Kent at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TQ 92 NE BROOKLAND HIGH STREET
(south-west side)

5/35 Church of St Augustine
9.6.59
GV I

Parish church. Mid C13, C14, C15 and C18, restored 1790 by Thomas
White, and in 1950s and 1960s. Roughly coursed mixed stone with plain
tile roof. Continuous nave and chancel. North and south aisles of unequal
length, each slightly overlapping chancel, formerly with chapels within
east ends. North aisle has schoolroom at west end, now chapel. North
porch. Small medieval north stair turret. Nave: mid C13, extended to west
by 2 bays in C14. West end plinthless, with 2 buttresses. Stepped, chamfered,
untraceried 3-light west window with angular hoodmould, set in blocked 2-centred
arched architrave. 2 centred arched marble-stone west doorway of 2 chamfered
orders. Ribbed door. South aisle: east end mid C13, rest C13, extended
with nave in C14. Plinthless, with one west, 7 south and one east buttress.
1741 rainwater-head to west. Gabled. Square-topped west window of 3
cinquefoil-headed lights with cavetto mullions, blocked tracery above,
and fragments of hoodmould. Four untraceried south windows of 2 pointed-
arched lights, square-headed, with cavetto mullions but no hoodmoulds,
probably of 1790. Broad C15 five-light traceried east window-with cavetto
mullions, segmental head and hood-mould. South doorway with segmental-
pointed arch and continuous bead moulding. Ribbed door. Chancel: mid C13.
Plinthless, with angle buttresses and gabled roof slightly higher than that
of nave. 2 chamfered lancets to south and 3 to north. Stepped 3-light
untraceried east window with cavetto mullions and hood-mould, restored
except for head; resembling C18 aisle windows but said to be C16. (Anne
Roper, The Church of St Augustine, Brookland, 1982 edition). Fragments of
lower cill and chamfered jambs of blocked east lancets. Blocked rectangular
chamfered openings in gable above. North aisle: C13, extended with nave in
C14. Low chamfered stone plinth to north elevation only. Angle buttresses
and 2 to north. Lean-to roof. C14 east window with cusped intersecting
tracery and hoodmould. Geometrical window to east end of north elevation
with 2 cinquefoil-headed lights, a chamfered sexfoil and 2 plain open
spandrels. Hoodmould with roll-and-hollow moulding and carved heads as
label-stops. 2 further north windows, one to east of porch and one
between turret and lean-to, the former with broad C18 wooden shutters;
both similar to C18 south aisle windows. Small medieval stair turret
adjoining porch to west, on stone plinth with stone string and battlements;
2 small lights, one cusped, one rectangular. Second World War memorial
clock. Lean-to to school room at west end of north elevation has rectangular
wood mullion window of 5 leaded lights. West gable end has rectangular C19
window of 2 leaded lights above C19 ribbed door with cambered head, up 3
steps. North porch: gault and red brick in Flemish bond on stepped brick
plinth with plain tile roof. Weatherboarded gable. Projecting eaves with
moulded bargeboards. Formerly timber framed and probably partly open
(evidence for large braces and a bracket). Beneath a collar, 2 large durns,
moulded to outside with plain chamfer, roll and fillet. Large spandrels,
each with quartrefoil circumscribed by roll and fillet, with a trefoil
above and below. C18 shutter doors, lower panelled with ramped tops,
upper boarded. 2-centred arched moulded stone inner doorway with broach
stops. Ribbed medieval door. Interior: Structure: 7-bay south arcade of
double-chamfered pointed arches and 6 octagonal columns with moulded
capitals and bases; 2 east capitals different from 2 central, but all 4
have similar bases; 2 to west added when church extended in Cl4.
Six-bay north arcade, also of double-chamfered pointed arches only west
2 of which align with south arcade; 5 octagonal columns with moulded
capitals and bases; that to east individual (and possibly marking chapel),
2 to centre similar to central capitals of south arcade, 2 west added
during church extension. Bell capital corbels to east and west ends of
both arcades, that to north-east with carved face. Both arcade probably
originally of dark marble stone, which has been extensively replaced.
Continuous hood-mould to nave and south aisle arcade only, South-east
chapel down one step. 3 internal flying buttresses to north aisle. West
end of north aisle partitioned off as school-room from late medieval date.
Narrow doorway to north turret with triangular head, hollow chamfer and
broach stops. 3-centred arched doorway with hollow chamfer and broach
stops in school-room wall, in north-west corner of penultimate west bay
of north aisle. North and south chancel lancets have chamfered rere-arches
springing from slender columns with bell capitals and bases. Continuous
hood-mould to heads of lancets. Traces of outer jambs of original east
window, and bell bases of columns of rere-arches. Continuous C13 string
round chancel at cill level. Fragment of similar string half way up south
wall of south chapel. Blocked fireplace in north-east corner of school-
room. Roof: 5 rebated crown-posts to nave, all apparently same date, on
square bases; with moulded tie-beams. 2 square thick-set crown-posts to
east end of south aisle (probably marking extent of chapel), broadly
chamfered, with moulded capitals and bases on moulded tie-beams. 6 crown-
posts to rest of south aisle; that to east set close to west post of
chapel; all posts octagonal and slender but mouldings of 5 to east similar
to those of chapel. Tie-beams differently moulded from chapel and moulding
continued along cornices. West crown-post and tie-beam plain. North aisle
roof ceiled. C19 chancel roof. Fixtures and fittings: C13 stepped piscina
and 2-seat sedile to south wall of chancel, with pointed arches with roll-
and-fillet moulding and continuous pointed-arched hoodmould. Column with
bell capital and base between the 2 seats. C13 piscinain south wall of
south chapel with stopped hollow chamfer, and 5 red ochre cinquefoils.
Rectangular aumbry to centre of east wall of chancel. Cylindrical lead
font of circa 1200 with signs of Zodiac and Labours of the Months in 2
arcaded rows under cable and zig-zag mouldings. Three C13 Resurrection
castings below rim. Unique in Britain but similar to that at Saint Evroult-de-
Montfort, Normandy. Possibly made in North France. (G. Zarnecki, English
Romanesque lead Sculpture, 1957). Set on cylindrical stone base with
concrete to top. Carved stone fragments by tomb in south chapel (possibly
connected with font base?). 3 Medieval pews now north-west end of nave.
Re-laid medieval floor tiles in various parts of church. Altar possibly
a C17 Communion table. Mid C17 rails to east 1½ bays of south arcade with
moulded rail and symmetrical balusters on chamfered base. Bowed later Cl7
rails part of way across west end of south-east chapel with plain hand-rail
and turned balusters. C18 pulpit, formerly 3-decker, now 2, with fielded
panels and Greek key pattern to cornice. Hexagonal veneered and corniced
sounding board serves as table at west end. Box pews circa 1738 with fielded
panels, to north aisle, nave, and part of south aisle. Royal Arms 1739 over
south door. Large chest, reputedly from Spanish Armada. Funeral hudd. Complete
set of scales, weights and measures from Hundred of Aloesbridge, 1795, said to
be oldest set in existence. Benefactors board 1821.
Decoration: Wall-painting of second half of C13 at east end of south
wall of south chapel, depicting martydom of St. Thomas a Becket. Traces
of red and black paint on jambs and mouldings throughout church. C14
stained glass in east window of north aisle. Monuments: Brass in north
wall of chancel to Thomas Leddes, d.1503. Table tomb at east end of
south chapel to John Plomer, d.1615; rendered brick on plain chamfered
plinth with recessed side-panels and black Bethersden marble top bearing
inscription. Memorial tablet, south wall south aisle, to Henry Read,
d.1777; white marble with gadrooned gravy boats to top and black marble
obelisk with white urn on consoled plinth.

Said to be on Saxon site. Detached belfry of circa 1200 (q.v.) (Anne
Roper,Op.cit.; John Newman, Buildings of England Series, West Kent and
the Weald, 1980).


Listing NGR: TQ9896825825

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |