Church of St George, Ivychurch
Description: Church of St George
Date Listed: 9 June 1959
English Heritage Building ID: 175535
OS Grid Reference: TR0281227665
OS Grid Coordinates: 602812, 127665
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0126, 0.8899
Location: Ashford Road, Ivychurch, Kent TN29 0AL
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
Explore more of the area around Ivychurch, Kent at Explore Britain.
TR 028 277 IVYCHURCH B2070
6/76 Church of St George
Parish church. C13, late C14 and C15, restored 1888-90 by R.T. Blomfield
and in late C20. Tower roughly coursed stone, rest mixed roughly coursed
stone and flint. Gable of north aisle weatherboarded. Nave roof leaded,
north aisle has plain tile roof, rest not visible. West tower, continuous
nave and chancel with continuous north and south aisles and chapels. South
porch with parvis chamber. West tower: C15. Three stages on moulded plinth, with
battlements above a moulded string. Integral angle buttresses. Polygonal
north-east stair turret, also with moulded string, but plain-coped and
taller than tower. 2-light belfry windows with hoodmoulds; those to north
and east with trefoil-headed lights and square heads, those to west and
south with quatrefoil between vertical bars. Small hollow-chamfered
rectangular light to north and south of second stage. C14 west window,
probably re-set (J. Newman, Buildings of England Series, West Kent and the
Weald, 1980), with cusped intersecting tracery, cavetto mullions, moulded
architrave, and hoodmould. Two-centred arched west door with moulded
architrave and square-topped quatrefoiled spandrels springing from attached
columns with moulded capitals and bases. Hoodmould. Nave:clerestory of
four blocked quatrefoiled lights to north and south. South aisle:
Late C14. On moulded plinth with moulded string and plain parapet.
3 buttresses. Lean-to roof. No west window, 3 south windows, two to west
and one to east of porch; one C19, one late C14, restored, of 2 trefoil-
headed lights with sexfoil and hoodmould, and one, restored, 3-lights,
traceried, with cambered head. South porch:C14. Integral with south aisle,
but taller. On moulded plinth with string and battlements. Small hollow-
chamfered rectangular lights to parvis chamber to east,west and south.Diagonal
buttresses. Rounded, battlemented north-west stair turret in angle with
nave. Chamfered 2-centred arched doorway with hoodmould. Inner doorway
with 2 centred arch, roll-and-fillet moulding and hoodmould. Medieval
backing to door, Low stone seats along east and west walls. Rendered
quadripartite vault with exposed hollow-chamfered stone ribs springing
from moulded corner capitals. South Chapel:Late C14, possibly with C13
origins. No plinth. Moulded string. Parapet continuous with that of
south aisle. Pilaster buttress adjacent to south aisle buttress, 2 further
south buttresses and south-east angle buttress. Lean-to roof. 3 south windows,
two C19 in a C14 style and one of two lights with a sexfoil. Untraceried east
window of 2 trefoil-headed lights with cambered head and hoodmould.Chancel late C14 with
C13 origins. No plinth. Gabled. 2 buttresses. Clerestorey with two south
windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights and 3 quatrefoiled north lights. 2-centred
arched east window of 5 narrow uncusped cavetto-moulded lights with hoodmould.
North Chapel:Late C14 with C13 origins. High plinth slightly overlapping
chancel and stepped down under window. Blocked C15 west window of 5
stepped trefoil-headed lights with tracery above, cambered head and hoodmould.
North elevation of north chapel and north aisle: Continuous. Wall battered
towards base. Moulded plinth resumes to west of north door. North-east
angle buttress and 6 evenly-spaced north buttresses. Moulded string and
continuous stone-coped parapet. Lean-to roof to chapel, double pitched,
gabled roof to aisle. Circular north-west stair turret, also on plinth,
with string and stone-coped parapet, but taller than aisle. Chamfered
doorway leads from it onto aisle roof. 6 windows, evenly spaced between
buttresses: 4 to east and 2 to west of north door, with variety of tracery
patterns, 2 restored in C19, all with hoodmoulds.
2-centred arched north door, also between buttresses, with moulded
architrave and hoodmould. Finely carved C14 west window of 3 trefoil-
headed lights with cascade of mouchettes above, and hoodmould.
Interior: structure: continuous late C14 seven-bay north and south
arcades to nave and chancel, with pointed arches of 2 hollow-chamfered
orders and octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases. Tall C15
moulded tower arch with one attached column either side with moulded
capitals and bases. Moulded C13 semi-circular column base abutting
east wall of chancel towards north side. Low stone seat, possibly
base of an earlier wall along part of south wall of south chapel.
3-centred arched moulded stone doorway with broach stops to tower
stair turret. Moulded elliptical arched stone doorway to north aisle
stair turret. Chamfered doorway to parvis chamber stairs with broach
stops and pointed arched head. Remains of piscina with cusped ogee
head in south wall of south chapel. Pointed arched stoup to south
door with cushion stops and very deep quatrefoiled basin with sunk
panel to outer face. Roof: king-and-queen-post roof to nave; 5 king-
posts with moulded capitals and bases and heavy upward braces. Broad
ridge-piece. Single continuous purlin to each side. Queen-posts
with braces to purlin and, elongated, to rafter above, forming
distorted arch with the king-post braces. Chamfered tie-beams with
braced pendant posts. Unusual for Kent. King-and-queen-strut roof
to chancel with 4 short heavily braced,rebated, broach-stopped king-
posts and broad chamfered ridge-piece. 2 tiers of continuous purlins
sandwiched, over tie-beams, between outer and inner rafters. Inner
rafters stop short of the ends of the tie-beams and are pegged at tops
into undersides of the braces from king posts to outer rafters. Heavy
cambered, slightly moulded tie-beams braced to short pendant posts.
Very short curved queen-struts between tie-beams and inner rafters.
Also unusual for Kent and possibly not medieval. South aisle and chapel
and north chapel have staggered butt purlins, some moulded. One principal
rafter in south aisle painter: C W . North aisle roof plastered.
1703 IS RR
Fittings: octagonal font with moulded plinth on 2 octagonal steps,
probably late C14 or C15. Two L-shaped stalls with 2-light blind-
traceried panels, shafted arms to seats, and mortices for screens on
backs of seats. C15 traceried screens to north and south of third bay
from east. Altar rails with late C17 or C18 turned balusters and C20
rail. Screen to base of tower arch dated 1686 with spiked top rail
and turned balusters above boarded base. C18 pulpit with fielded
panels. Late C18 screens to north aisle. Central bay of chancel
has panelled north and south screens with chinoiserie gates said to
have come from the church of St. Clement, Old Romney (Miss. A. Roper, The
Church of St. Clement, Old Romney, 1983). Royal Arms 1775 over north
door. 8 oval text boards to nave. Decalogue, Creed and Lord's Prayer
on 4 boards to east end. C18 panelled funeral hudd. Fragments of stained
glass in east window of south chapel. (J. Newman, Buildings of England
Series, West Kent and the Weald, 1980).
Listing NGR: TR0214428694
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.