Church of St Clement, Old Romney
Description: Church of St Clement
Date Listed: 9 June 1959
English Heritage Building ID: 175552
OS Grid Reference: TR0349525192
OS Grid Coordinates: 603495, 125192
Latitude/Longitude: 50.9901, 0.8982
Location: A259, Old Romney, Kent TN29 0HP
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
Explore more of the area around Old Romney, Kent at Explore Britain.
TR 035 252 OLD ROMNEY
6/92 Church of St Clement
Parish church. C13, C14 and C15 with alterations of C19, and 1930,
restored 1959-68 by Anthony Swaine. Mixed stone with pebble-dashed
mortar. Upper part of east gable end of chancel rebuilt in brick.
East gable end of nave weatherboarded. Plain tile roofs. Wood
shingles to spire. Nave. West tower to south aisle. Narrower chancel
with north and south chapels, chapels stopping short of east end. Small
north-east chapel to nave, projecting to north. Walls of chancel chapels
Continuous with south aisle and nave chapel. North porch.
Nave: West end: C13. Battered plinth. Gable recessed above wall-plate.
3-light C14 reticulated west window extending above wall-plate with
stonework of gable padded out round head. C13 two centred arched
chamfered west doorway with broach stops and scroll-moulded hoodmould
with turned ends. South-west tower: C13. Probably integral with nave
but possibly built within south aisle later in century. Projects slightly
to west with renewed quoins. Single stage with battered plinth. Diagonal
south-east and south-west buttresses on moulded plinths. Splay-footed
octagonal spire. Narrow chamfered rectangular north window, small
triangular-headed west window, narrow rectangular brick south window and
chamfered east lancet, all beneath eaves. Brick relieving arch half-way
down west side. West doorway with possibly original chamfered pointed-
arched stone head and C19 brick jambs. South aisle and south chapel:
C13. No plinth. Gabled, roof much lower than nave and slightly lower
than chancel. 4 south and one east buttresses. One C19 2-light C14-
style south window with original cill. C19 three-light C14-style
reticulated east window with hoodmould and cavetto mullions, bases of
which may be original. Blocked 2-centred arched stone doorway now less
than 5 feet high at west end of south elevation, partly covered by south-
east tower buttress. Chancel: C13. Tall battered plinth. Single south
buttress and north-east angle buttress. C19 cusped 2-light south window.
C19 two-light C14-style east window with hoodmould and with stone jamb of
an earlier window immediately to north. No north window. North chancel
chapel and north-east nave chapel: C13, possibly of 2 periods. Large
brick diagonal north-east buttress and broad brick north buttress. East
window placed assymmetrically to south, of 3 lights with cavetto mullions,
segmental head and hoodmould, inserted soon after 1511 (Anne Roper, The
Church of Saint Clement 0ld Romney 1983). Small chamfered north lancet to
chancel chapel. C19 two-light C14-style north window to nave chapel and
chamfered west lancet. North elevation of nave: no windows. North porch:
On a C14 site ( Anne Roper, Op. Cit.) but apparently C19. Brick in
Flemish bond on chamfered brick plinth, with tile-hung gable. C19 wood
double doors, square headed, each with fielded panels. C13 chamfered
pointed-arched inner doorway with inward-turning scrolls to hoodmould.
Interior: Structure: 2-bay south arcade to nave of 2 unchamfered pointed
arches springing from rectangular piers with chamfered imposts. Broad
pointed chamfered arch to north-east nave chapel with rolled chamfer-
stops and chamfered imposts. Narrow rendered unmoulded round-headed
chancel arch, possibly C18. Single opposed arches to north and south chancel
chapels, both pointed, chamfered and springing from semi-octagonal piers with
scroll-moulded, undercut imposts and chamfer-stopped bases.
No arch between two north chapels. Plain imposts to chamfered pointed arch
between south aisle and chapel. Two low, narrow unchamfered tower arches
springing from plain imposts, one to south aisle and one, blocked, to nave
on north side of tower. Roof: crown-post roof to nave; 4 trusses, 3 with
tall rebated crown-posts with broach stops, 2 to centre with moulded
cambered tie-beams and short pendant posts with solid braces. Truss
against west wall cut through either side of window. Sous-laces. Ashlar-
pieces to moulded cornice. Chancel roof has common rafters with morticed
collars, sous-laces and ashlar-pieces. North chapels roofed together, with
apex central to north chancel chapel. Moulded tie-beam. Common rafters with
asymmetrical scissor-braces. Ashlar-pieces to north, and to south side of
nave chapel. Moulded north cornice. South chapel roof C17 or repaired in
C17; scissor-braced common rafters with ashlar-pieces and chamfer-stopped
wall-plate to south. South aisle has lean-to side-purlin roof internally.
Fittings: No stoups or piscinae. Stone seating to south-west corner of nave
and south wall of south chapel. Chamfered pointed-arched hagioscope, largely
renewed, between nave and chancel to north of chancel arch. Chamfered
cambered-arched squint between nave and chancel to south of chancel arch.
Rectangular opening between nave and north chancel chapel, possibly entrance
to rood-loft stairs, containing small wood doorway to east with pointed arch and
solid spandrels. Fragment of stone keel moulding within opening to north.
Loose moulded stone fragments, one with dog-tooth ornament. Medieval altar
stone in north chancel chapel, with consecration crosses. Early C14
rectangular font in south-west bay of nave arcade with deep black marble
bowl on rectangular, chamfered, roll-stopped central pillar. Circular
column to each corner with bell capital and base under square abacus, the
latter supported by tiny figures, heads and leaves. Remains of C15 wood
screen between south aisle and chapel. Stairs to tower of 2 parallel beams
with pegged triangular treads, unusual and possibly C17. C17 Communion
table. Early C18 altar rails. Early C18 reredos with lightly-moulded
base and cornice and 4 pilasters with raised panels between them bearing
Lords Prayer, Creed and Decalogue. C18 hexagonal pulpit with raised and
fielded panels, formerly a 3-decker (Anne Roper, Op. Cit.) Lower desk,
also with fielded panels, now to north side of nave. Late C18 gallery
across west end of nave on 4 Doric columns, containing tiers of boarded
seats with shaped arm-rests. An unusual survival on the Marsh. 4 blocks
of C18 box pews to nave and south aisle, with fielded panels. Low late
C18 chinoiserie gates to south aisle (rest now in Church of St George,
Ivychurch. (Anne Roper, Op. Cit.)). 6 text boards; 2 oval, 4 rectangular.
Royal arms 1800 over chancel arch. Chest, possibly Dutch, inscribed
"Anna Diercks Anno 1768". (J. Newman, Building of England Series, West
Kent and the Weald, 1980. Anne Roper, The Church of Saint Clement,
Old Romney, 1983).
Listing NGR: TR0209123556
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.