If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Church of St Peter and St Paul, Borden

Description: Church of St Peter and St Paul

Grade: I
Date Listed: 24 January 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 176060

OS Grid Reference: TQ8823862981
OS Grid Coordinates: 588239, 162981
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3348, 0.7009

Location: Pond Farm Road, Borden, Kent ME9 8JR

Locality: Borden
Local Authority: Swale Borough Council
County: Kent
Country: England
Postcode: ME9 8JR

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Borden, Kent at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TQ 86 SE BORDEN THE STREET
(north side)

5/30 Church of St. Peter
24.1.67 and St. Paul

GV I

Parish church. C12, C13 and C15. Flint. Western tower, nave and
aisles, chancel and aisles, south porch and priests room to north
west. Exterior: large 2 stage tower with string course to parapet.
Romanesque west doorway with attached shafts, roll mould, beaded
zig-zag surround and fish-scale pattern on drip mould. Three
light C15 Perp. window over, C12 2 light in upper stage, and C15
2 light belfry opening. Lozenge-shaped clock face on south wall.
One storey square stair turret to north west. South aisle with
diagonal corner buttress, battlemented parapet, C15 Perp. windows and
battlemented south porch with water-spouts. Battlemented
octagonal vice separates aisle from south east chapel. Two offset
buttresses and eastern diagonal buttress, with steeply pitched
roof, with the top portion only of a restored C13 lancet window, 3
light C16 window and restored C14 "kentish" traceried window with
mouchelles and flattened heads. The north east and south east chapels
are on plinths, the chancel,not so, reveals C12 quoins. South east
window c. 1300 cusped Y-tracery, the east window C19 reticuled
style, the north east c. 1300 cusped Y-tracery. North aisle with
3 buttresses and 3 C14 curvilinear windows of 2 lights with mouchettes.
Interior: large C12 tower arch scalloped, with attached shafts.
2 bay double-chamfered nave arcade, octagonal water - holding based piers.
Roof of 3 crown posts and 1 wooden clerestory light. South east chapel
with upper half of lancet reveal, 2 bay arcade to chancel. Heavily
restored chancel with C19 2 bay arcade to north east chapel (now organ
space). Chancel roof C19 cusped and panelled ceiling, south-east
chapel C15 boarded segmental tunnel-vault, with coved bases concealing
hammer-beams. Fittings: angle piscina in chancel, and cusped
piscinae in south chapel and south aisle. Doorways in south aisle
to external vice, for missing rood loft. C15 font, octagonal, with large
riased letters on side: DTB, with wrought iron hood attached to pulley
system on wall. Hexagonal C17 pulpit. Monuments: in south east
chapel, wall monument to Robert Plot the elder d. 1671, showing St.
Michael spearing the Devil, who lies under St. Michaels shield
which bears an inscription. Supported by a shield below, with field of
weapons of war, and crest of canons supporting a knight's helm;
attributed Jaspar Latham. In north aisle: Dr. Robert Plot,
d.1696, antiquarian, Oxford don, first secretary of Royal Society.
Large oval tablet wreathed with flowers and palms with urn over,
putti on edge of oval and coat of arms below. Also, wall tablet to
Ralph Sherwood, d. 1705, and Mary Sherwood, d. 1708. White alabaster
scrolled plaque with putti and urn over, on coved base. Coat of Arms
in lozenge panel in north aisle - in memoriam Rebecca Plot. Brasses to
William Fyge, d. c. 1450 and William Fordmell, d. 1521, layman and
priest respectively. Wall painting on north wall of St. Christopher
c. 1500. Royal Arms over south door, 1719. (See B.O.E. Kent II, 1983
p. 147 - 8).


Listing NGR: TQ8822562864

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |