If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Church of St Peter and St Paul, Ospringe

Description: Church of St Peter and St Paul

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 29 July 1950
English Heritage Building ID: 176511

OS Grid Reference: TR0002860311
OS Grid Coordinates: 600028, 160311
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3068, 0.8684

Location: Water Lane, Ospringe, Kent ME13 8XS

Locality: Ospringe
Local Authority: Swale Borough Council
County: Kent
Country: England
Postcode: ME13 8XS

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Ospringe, Kent at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TR 06 SW OSPRINGE WATER LANE
(west side)

2/105 Church of St.
Peter and St.
Paul (formerly listed
29.7.50 under Faversham)

GV II*

Parish Church. Circa 1200, with C14 chapel and C15 fenest-
ration rebuilt and restored 1858-70 by E.L. Blackburne. Flint
with plain tiled roof. South chapel, nave and aisles, north-
west tower and north porch. Tower and integral north porch,
with stair turret joining the 2 all built 1866. Saddle backed
tower in 3 stages with clasping buttresses and enriched details,
particularly around the belfry. North east stair turret, lower
stage square, upper stage circular, adjoining porch with
Romanesque style doorway of 4 orders with zig-zag and rope
moulding and attached shafts. Aisles with battlements and C15
traceried square headed windows. External octagonal vice
west of projecting gabled south chapel, with 3 offset buttresses,
2 two-light ogee surround windows with sexfoils in the heads,
and chapel east window of 3 reticulated lights. South lancet
to chancel, and northdoorway of 3 orders, a roll, zig-zag and
billet, with 2 attached shafts. C19 fenestration elsewhere.
Interior: Continuous nave and chancel, distinguished only by
change in (C19) roof structure. Five bay arcade to south, the
eastern-most in the chancel, 4 to the north, the western-most
to the tower. Broad chamfered arches on square piers with
undercut abaci. Double hollow chamfered arch on octagonal
responds with moulded caps from south aisle to chapel, with
1 arch to chancel and 1 to nave. Fittings: chancel, all of
circa 1860, altar, brass altar rail, tryptich reredos, choir
stalls, organ, polychrome tiles, wall paintings of the 4
Evangelists on east wall, painted black arcading, screen to
chapel. Ogee chamfered piscina in south chapel, with corbelled
niches with crocketted ogee heads either side of east window,
and 2 C19 crocketted and ogee wall recesses. North aisle with
doorways to rood stair, and re-sited deeply moulded trefoil
headed piscina in south aisle. C12 Bethersden marble font with
arcading of 5 shallow arches on each face, on 5 shafts with water
holding bases. Pulpit, 1894, octagonal of stone, with heavy
stiff leaf and surface ornament, open arcaded sides, and attached
shafts of various coloured stones. Box pews. Stained glass:
by Thomas Willement in chancel (1852-4) south aisle (1851) south
chapel 1858-9, and Clayton Bell (south chapel 1865, nave n.d.,
south aisle 1871, 1874, and 1885). Monuments: Chancel south wall,
wall plaque to Robert Streynsham mid 1630's . Black and white
marble, with Latin inscription on plaque and architectural
surround of Corinthian columns, cornice and frieze with scrolled
cartouche over. Standing monument on north wall to Jacob Master,
gent., died 1631, atributed to Edward Marshall (B.O.E. Kent II,
1983, 410).
Shrouded, bearded old man on coved and gadrooned sarcophagus
with swags to left and right. Semi-circular arched plaque with
cofferred soffit, and supports left and right with strapwork
and putti. Latin text on plaque, with angel head and shallow
relief and painted ribbons and symbols of death and burial
achievement over. South chapel wall plaque, Arthur Whatman,
died 1678. Black and white marble plaque on moulded base with
heavily foliated scrolls and swag, and triple recessed scrolled
surround with drapes and fruit, cornice and raised frieze.
(See B.0.E. Kent II 1983, 409-10; see also Faversham Papers, No.
15, 1978.)


Listing NGR: TR0008960195

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.