If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Church of St Mary, Wingham

Description: Church of St Mary

Grade: I
Date Listed: 11 October 1963
English Heritage Building ID: 178359

OS Grid Reference: TR2421257474
OS Grid Coordinates: 624212, 157474
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2723, 1.2130

Location: 16 Oxenden Crescent, Wingham, Kent CT3 1BH

Locality: Wingham
Local Authority: Dover District Council
County: Kent
Country: England
Postcode: CT3 1BH

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Wingham, Kent at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TR 2457 WINGHAM CATERBURY ROAD
(north side)

9/327 Church of St.Mary
11.10.63
GV I

Parish church. Circa 1200, C13 chancel, C14 tower and C16 nave and aisle.
Restored 1874-5, Ferrey, particularly the chancel. Flint in part knapped
and coursed with rubble stone and brick repairs and additions. Plain
tiled roof. Chancel, transept chapels, nave and south aisle, western
tower and south porch. West tower with north-west stair turret and tall
angle buttresses offset 4 times, battlements and recessed spire. Two light
Decorated belfry windows and moulded west doorway and clockface on south
front. South aisle with brick upper stage, large stone blocks below the
eaves set in knapped flint wall with 4 re-used C15 windows. Two storey
battlemented porch with double hollow chamfered inner and outer doorways.
Nave north wall with 4 buttresses and similar knapped flint and re-used C15
fenestration. North and south transepts with window heads infilled with red
brick, the north transept retaining C18 wooden Venetian window and large
4 light leaded window. East window of south transept in shallow projection
with 3 lights with 3 circles in head enclosing 3 trefoils linked by
intersecting tracery, c.1280. Chancel restored C19, new fenestration.
blocked double arches in north arcade to lost aisle. Interior;
tall double chamfered tower arch on octagonal responds with stylised flower
ornament. Nave with 5 bay arcade of chestnut and 1 oak pier, formerly
imitating stone pillars but exposed since 1874, and new arch braced to wall
plate.Nave roof of 4 crown posts, aisle roof of 6 crown posts. C19 chancel
arch. Originally identical arches from chancel to transepts with hollow
and roll moulded and chamfered arch and attached shafts. Reveal of south
transept east widow with attached marble shafts. Chancel with string course
and drip moulds with heads and naturalistic leaf decoration. Fittings;
reredos, C15 stone and rare in England , from Troyes. Five scenes of
the Passion above and the Last Supper and the Adoration below. Sedilia
in chancel with 3 round headed seats and marble colonnettes. Trecusped piscina
on eastern wall. Misericord stalls, 3 to south and 4 to north with C19
replacements. C14 showing animals and human faces, Green Man and foliation.
Rood Screen, the base only, C15 with 8 ogee traceried panels. Square headed
piscina in south aisle and chamfered elliptical wall recess said to be for
tomb of a member of the Warham family. Another piscina is now on the
outside of the north transept, originally in north aisle. Early C14 stained
glass in chancel south window. West window of 1920, a memorial to the last
member of the Oxenden family. Monuments;in the nave; Thomas Cinder,d.1716,
large grey marble wall tablet with Death's head and Corinthian pilasters
with enriched scrolls and open segmental pediment. In the north chapel; Sir
Thomas Palmer,d.1625, by Nicholas Stone. Standing black and white wall
monument. Full length figures of Sir Thomas and Lady Margaret on tomb chest,
with Corinthian columns carrying segmental pediment with a smaller pediment
thrusting through it and reclining putti with arcaded background and bracket
to entablature. Sir Thomas Palmer,d.1656, erected 1718.Black and white
standing wall monument with plinth, Corinthian columns to segmental pediment
with putti and portrait bust at top. Streynsham Master,d.1724. White
marble double wall plaque, only 1 half inscribed, with winged Death's head
at base and tripled Corinthian pilasters supporting tripled broken segmental
pediment with cartouche and martial achievements with urn over. In the
south (Oxenden) chapel; Charles Tripp,d.1624. Black pedimented wall plaque
with side pieces containing 2 angels in oval wreathed recesses, the whole
decorated with cherubs heads on wings. The Oxenden Monument, 1682, suggested as
by Arnold Quellin. Free standing black and white marble monument with large
white marble base inscribed and supported at the corners by black scrolls
topped by ox heads, with drapes between them. Tall obelisk with fruit and
flower garlands carved all down the sides and topped with a vase. Four putti
at the corners, 2 leaning on shields,1 draped, with a skull,a fourth holding
a helmet. The chapel was paved and given wrought iron screens at the same
time (1681, bequest of Sir George Qxenden), with simple uprights in 4 panels
to north with 3 raised sections with ball finials and central cross, the
iron work leafed and bifurcated, with double leaf gate and overthrow to
south and single leaf gate to old rood stair door. Altogether a major
work, certainly in Kent. The church was from 1282 to 1547 a collegiate
church attached to Wingham College (which provided in its time 4
Archbishops and 3 bishops). (see A.Hussey, Chronicles of Wingham; see
also B.O.E. Kent II, 1983 499-500)


Listing NGR: TR2421257476

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |