If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Horne's Place
Date Listed: 4 June 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 180088
OS Grid Reference: TQ9574530870
OS Grid Coordinates: 595745, 130870
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0438, 0.7910
There is also a scheduled monument with a similar name, Domestic Chapel at Horne's Place, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This is probably the same structure or related to it in some way.
Explore more of the area around Appledore, Kent at Explore Britain.
In the entry for:-
TQ 93 SE APPLEDORE KENARDINGTON ROAD
10/31 Horne's Place
the description shall be amended to read:
House with private chapel. Late C14 chapel, reroofed c1520 linked
to house to the north east of which are 2 late C15 or early C16
finely decorated solar bays,though its hall and service bays were
completely rebuilt in the C17 and linked to the chapel by a
contemporary or slightly later wing. Chapel of Kentish ragstone,
rubble with tiled roof. House timberframed with brick infill,
some tile hanging to 1st floor and tiled roof with 3 tall brick
chimneystacks. Chapel west front has double cinquefoil window and
blocked 4-centred arch. Ground floor has cambered entrance. South
front has ogee opening with window of 3 cinquefoil-headed lights.
Hagioscope. East window traceried with triple cinquefoil. North
front has similar window. Main or north west front of house has
gable to right hand side which is the end of the c1500 solar
wing. 1st floor tile hung with 4 C19 casements. Ground floor is
partly underbuilt and is supported on 3 carved brackets.
Projecting doorcase with 6 panelled door and rectangular
fanlight. Exposed mainly C17 frame to ground floor. Left side
return has hipped roof with end external chimneystack and
catslide roof. Link block to chapel has C17 box frame exposed
with plaster infill. This wing terminates in a tile-hung gable.
Right side of solar wing tile hung with 2 3-light windows. Rear
of solar wing has hipped roof, one 3-light casement to 1st floor
and plank doorcase in moulded architraves to ground floor. Chapel
has barrel-vaulted undercroft and c1520 roof of 4 heavily moulded
arch braces rising from corbels. The principal feature of the
house is the very elaborate 2-bay solar wing built between 1480
and 1520 with one room on each floor. 1st floor chamber was
jettied to the north and has a very elaborate crown post moulded
in 4 sections with roll moulding supported on a roll-moulded and
crenellated tie beam. The rafter couples are linked by collars
which are braced with soulaces. Every fifth rafter couple has a
carved cross. Ground floor of solar wing has roll moulded beams
of c1500 and C17 brick fireplace with wooden bressummer. In the
late C16 or early C17 the medieval open hall was replaced by the
present hall range of continuous jetty form which originally had
a lobby entry. The roof is of side purlins type and the ground
floor ceiling of the hall contains the reused side purlins from
the medieval solar room together with contemporary chamfered
spine beam with lambs tongue stops. Large open fireplace with
wooden bressummer. North western ground floor room has dragon
beam. Some C19 iron firegrates and 2 panelled doors. Horne's
Place was the seat of the Horne family since 1276 when Edward I
gave land to Matthew de Horne. During Wat Tyler's rebellion of
1381 the property was entered and £10 worth of goods stolen, but
this must relate to an earlier building on the site.
[See RCHM Report 1989
Wealden Buildings Study group report of 1982
Archaeologia Cantiana 14 1882 p363 "Chapel at Hornes Place
Appledore" by W A Scott Robertson]
APPLEDORE KENARDINGTON ROAD
5272 Horne's Place
(formerly listed as
Horne Place Farmhouse)
TQ 93 SE 10/31 4.6.52.
Late mediaeval timber-framed building with painted brick infilling, the lst
floor tile hung and partly oversailing on brackets. Two storeys. Gable at
the south-west end of the north front. Hipped tiled roof. Four casement windows.
Tunnel vaulted mediaeval undercroft built by William Horne. In 1366 Archbishop
Simon Langham granted a licence to William Horne to hold divine service in
his oratory. The chapel which he built for the purpose stands behind the farmhouse
in the south-east corner. The farmhouse was attacked by Wat Tyler in 1381.
Listing NGR: TQ9574530870
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.