Church of St Matthew, Warehorne
Description: Church of St Matthew
Date Listed: 27 November 1957
English Heritage Building ID: 181737
OS Grid Reference: TQ9898832512
OS Grid Coordinates: 598988, 132512
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0575, 0.8381
Location: Warehorne, Kent TN26 2LH
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
Explore more of the area around Warehorne, Kent at Explore Britain.
TQ 93 SE WAREHORNE CHURCH ROAD
5/151 Church of St.
Parish church. C13, with C14 aisles and chancel, tower of 1777 and north
porch 1784. Ragstone with brick tower and porch. Plain tiled roofs.
Chancel, nave with aisles, western tower and north porch. Three stage
western tower with offset angle buttresses, plat bands and parapet,
with north-west stair turret. Leaded cross-window and belfry lights,
with simple segmentally headed western doorway. Rebuilt 1777
after lightning destroyed the old tower in 1770. Aisles with tall
plinth with 2 light and 3 light C14 windows with cusped intersecting
tracery. Chancel with square headed late C14 windows with cusped
tracery. Perpendicular East window of 4 lights. The east window of
the north aisle appears to incorporate an earlier tracery pattern
built into later C14 window (due to restoration at some later date,
perhaps). Red and blue chequered brick porch with segmental gable and
dated keystone over door inscribed 1784. C18 panelled south door.
Interior: C15 tower arch survives; tall arch with wave moulded surround
on round moulded responds, with wave and hollow chamfered inner arch.
Three bay arcades in nave, with round piers of Bethersden marble, with
deep undercut capitals and double chamfered arches. North-western respond
with fine carved head. Roof of 4 crown posts on moulded tie beams with
quatrefoil pierced knee braces. Aisles with roofs of 4 short moulded
crown-posts, almost as high as the nave roof. Eastern most side
windows in each case with reveals brought down as seating. Depressed
arched doors and passage doors to former rood stair and loft. No
chancel arch, just a stepping-in, with roof of 3 spindly crown posts
on 1 unmoulded and 2 moulded tie beams with blank traceried knee braces,
the wall plate with stylised flower enrichment. The easternmost window
reveals to north and south brought down to form seating. Fittings:
window seat to chancel south wall enriched as sedilia with integral
piscina in the eastern angle, a coved niche in the western angle,
with deeply undercut naturalistic vine frieze, damaged. Arched
aumbrey in east wall. C20 carved wooden reredos flanked by e.C18 text
boards. C19 altar rail; pulpit of 1905. Ogee headed shelved piscina
in south aisle with adjacent aumbrey. Simple C17 Bethersden marble
font. Box pews in nave, installed 1738 (north side) (centre) and 1839
(south side). Screen to tower with simple panels and panelled door with
scrolled and pedimented surround to Royal Arms, dated 1708; painted at
the same time as the text boards in chancel, the Lord's prayer and
Creed against the tower, and 4 sentence boards in the aisles (and by
the same craftsman who painted the hall archway at Leacon Hall,
Warehorne, item 5/153 also in 1708). Tower with boarded octagonal
stair inserted 1820. Lugged benefaction board dated 1824 in south aisle.
Fragments of C14 glass (figures) in north and south aisles, and
heraldic and floral fragments in chancel. Patches of painted foliage in
south aisle and by font in nave. Quarry tiles and some old encaustic
tiles throughout, and medieval coffin lid in 3 sections by south door.
Memorials: brass plaque in nave to Thomas Jely, d.1438; plain white
bolection moulded wall tablet to John Camley, d.1681, and white marble
plaque at nave east end to Joseph Hodges and family (1802 onwards),
with Arms on apron, 2 ball finials and urn over. A board hung below the
corbel head at the north end records that J. Woolley, Churchwarden,
painted the church in 1850-1-2. (See B.O.E. Kent I, 591-2; church
Listing NGR: TQ9871832459
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.