British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of the Holy Trinity, Hinckley

Description: Church of the Holy Trinity

Grade: II
Date Listed: 10 August 1989
English Heritage Building ID: 188187

OS Grid Reference: SP4232193880
OS Grid Coordinates: 442321, 293880
Latitude/Longitude: 52.5411, -1.3774

Location: 15 Trinity Vicarage Road, Hinckley, Leicestershire LE10 0BX

Locality: Hinckley
Local Authority: Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council
County: Leicestershire
Country: England
Postcode: LE10 0BX

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

(south side)
Church of the Holy


Church. 1909-10 by Alexander Ellis of Birmingham in a Gothic style;
baptistery completed 1930. Random rubble with ashlar dressings and
plain tile roofs with stone coped verges. 5-bay nave with apsidal west
baptistery, north-west and south-west porches and a south aisle; 2-bay
chancel with south vestry and organ chamber. It was intended to build
a north aisle and tower but the church was never completed. The bay
divisions of the south aisle are marked by buttresses surmounted by
cast iron rainwater heads. Each bay is under a gable and has a pointed
3-light window with Decorated tracery and a trefoil opening in the
gable. The clerestory has pointed 2-light windows, a cyma reversa
moulded cornice and pinnacles at the corners. The south porch is
gabled and has a pointed arch on cylindrical shafts. It is matched on
the north side by an identical porch, and hard up against this is the
stub of the west wall of the intended north aisle. Also on this side,
at the east end of the nave, is a buttress surmounted by a small timber
framed bell cote containing a single bell. The west end is finished
with an apsidal baptistery with small lancet windows. Like that of the
nave the north wall of the chancel is blind and it was evidently
intended that there should be an attached building here. The pointed
east window has 5 lights and Decorated tracery, and there is a trefoil
opening in the gable above. The vestry and organ chamber on the south
side are gabled to the east and south and the porch within the
re-entrant angle of this L-shaped plan, has an openwork parapet and a
doorway with Caernarvon arch. Interior: 5-bay nave arcades of pointed
arches on cylindrical columns, each with 4 banded shafts and moulded
base. The capitals of the south arcade are very richly carved with
naturalistic foliage; each one is different and the models used include
roses and thistles, oak leaves and acorns, vine leaves and bunches of
grapes and ears of corn together with a serpent and birds. The
capitals of the blind north arcade are left uncarved but were clearly
intended to be treated as their counterparts to the south. At the west
end of the nave is a lower 3-bay arcade, also with naturalistic
capitals and banded shafts, which leads to the baptistery with a
polygonal apse. A double chamfered chancel arch springs from a pair of
corbelled cylindrical shafts with capitals; these too have naturalistic
foliage. To each side of the chancel are 2-bay arcades like those of
the nave but on a smaller scale; again the north arcade is blind.
Wooden barrel-vaults over the nave and chancel on a series of thin
transverse ribs which spring from shafted corbels, with naturalistic
foliage in the chancel but left uncarved in the nave. The window
rear-arches spring from shafts and have returned hood moulds. Fixtures
and fittings: Font with octagonal basin on cylindrical shaft with
octagonal steps in the baptistery. Simple bench pews in the nave, and
choir stalls with openwork poppyheads. Octagonal stone pulpit on a
cylindrical base with multiple shafting; the sides have Decorated
tracery. Brass lectern with cylindrical shaft on inverted
funnel-shaped base with clawed feet; the shaft is inscribed with
Romanesque patterns; foliage brackets to an openwork book rest. Altar
rail on wrought iron legs.

2 sedilia with cinquefoil heads on cylindrical shafts with carved
capitals. Piscina in the same style, and common hood mould over both.
Simple wooden reredos with cinquefoil arcading. Stained glass: High
quality throughout. East window of after 1931 with Jesus the Good
Shepherd in the centre and Saint Peter and Dorcas to the right and
Saints John and Paul to the left. In the south aisle, second from the
east of after 1901, possibly by Kempe and Co.; third from the east of
after 1957. The westernmost window of the aisle is a First World War
memorial. In the baptistery small windows of (from north to south);
1946, 1936, 1936, 1936, 1942, by A.J. Davies of Bromsgrove, Worcs.
B.O.E. p.177.

Listing NGR: SP4232193880

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.