British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Martin, Peckleton

Description: Church of St Martin

Grade: I
Date Listed: 7 November 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 188193

OS Grid Reference: SK4701900837
OS Grid Coordinates: 447019, 300837
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6033, -1.3072

Location: 6 Church Road, Peckleton, Leicestershire LE9 7RA

Locality: Peckleton
Local Authority: Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council
County: Leicestershire
Country: England
Postcode: LE9 7RA

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Peckleton, Leicestershire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

7.11.66 Church of St. Martin
(Formerly listed as
"Church of St. Mary


Parish church. Early to mid-C14 with C16 alterations; restored 1869 by
F.B. Osborn of Birmingham. Random rubble with freestone dressings, and
Swithland slate roofs with stone coped verges. West tower, 4-bay nave
with south aisle and north and south porches, 3-bay chancel. West
tower: 3 stages with offsets, diagonal buttresses to the western
corners and square set buttresses at the eastern corners, all
surmounted by panelled and crocketed pinnacles, set diagonally to their
respective buttresses; crenellated parapet with continuous moulded
coping and recessed octagonal tower with crocketed angles and 2 tiers
of lucarnes. Pointed west window with concave quarter-round-moulded
surround and ogee-moulded hood ending in carved heads: 2 lights with
flowing tracery incorporating an ogival heart shaped motif. The belfry
lights have cusped Y-tracery beneath 4-centred arches; these are
probably late C14. Nave and south aisle: The south front has a
square-headed window at the west end; 2 lights with truncated
reticulations over; the other two windows on this side also have 2
lights with reticulated tracery beneath 2-centred arches; all have hood
moulds with head-stops. 4 C16 clerestory windows of 2 trefoil-headed
lights beneath 4-centred arches, and concave half-round-moulded

C19 south porch with pointed opening on one order of shafts with stiff
leaf capitals and roll and fillet moulded arch. Diagonal corner
buttresses and crenellated parapet with continuous coping and hollow
chamfered string. In the east wall of the aisle is a C16 window of 3
trefoil-headed lights beneath a 3-centred arch; above is another
clerestory window. Similar C16 windows on the north side of the nave
but transomed. North porch matching that on the south side. Chancel:
One C15 south window of 3 trefoil-headed lights and perpendicular
tracery beneath a square head; C14 east window with 4 trefoil-headed
lights and flowing tracery containing an ogival heart-shaped motif, and
a hood mould with head-stops. The north windows are C19 restorations.
Interior: C14 four-bay south arcade of double chamfered pointed arches
on octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases. The tower arch
has an outer chamfered surround and an inner chamfered arch springing
from corbels with carved heads. Chancel arch on engaged semi-octagonal
columns with moulded capitals. C19 king-post roof over nave. C19
braced collar roof over chancel. Fixtures and fittings: C12 font with
cylindrical pedestal and basin, the latter decorated with a pattern of
concentric lozenges. Above the tower arch is a hatchment depicting the
arms of Queen Victoria, presented to the church in 1863. Incorporated
into the west wall of the south aisle is the side of a C16 alabaster
chest tomb with an arcade containing figures. Below it is the medieval
Parish chest, the lid being made of a single piece of wood. At the
east end of the aisle is a piscina with ogee head, indicating that this
part of the aisle was once a chapel. C19 hexagonal stone pulpit with
traceried sides. Piscina in the chancel with dog-tooth surround,
apparently C13. Monuments: in the south wall of the chancel is an
early C14 tomb recess with ogee arch surmounted by a cross, and 2
orders of convex quarter-round mouldings. On each side the mouldings
are terminated at floor level by a trefoil-headed panel containing a
carved figure; within the recess is the effigy of a civilian with hands
raised in prayer. On the north side of the chancel is a near identical
recess containing the effigy of a knight wearing chain armour including
a coif de mailles, and a belted surcoat reaching to the knees; his legs
are crossed. Next to him but outside the recess is the effigy of a
lady with wimple headress. On the north wall of the chancel is the
incised top from an early C16 chest tomb showing a knight in full plate
armour flanked by 2 ladies. Tablets to the Reverend William Wood, died
1814, and Robert Chesser, died 1831, the latter having the carved
picture of a graveyard with portrait medallion above. Stained glass:
2 small panels of C14 fragments in the chancel south east, including a
nun and a St. Michael. The east window of 1894 is by Kempe. B.O.E.

Listing NGR: SK4701900837

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.