Description: St Martin's Cathedral
Date Listed: 5 January 1950
English Heritage Building ID: 188654
OS Grid Reference: SK5849804454
OS Grid Coordinates: 458498, 304454
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6347, -1.1370
In the entry for:-
SK 5804 SE
SK 5804 SW (South Side)
3/48 St Martin's Cathedral
GV 5.1.50 C
The grade shall be amended to read:-
SK 5804 SE 3/48 5.1.50 St Martin' Cathedral
SK 5804 SW 2/48
Parish Church of St Martin until 1927 when it became the Cathedral. From
C12 to C15 but much altered and restored in C19. Large church comprising
nave, chancel, chancel chapels, north and south aisles, outer south aisle,
west crossing tower and spire, north and south porches. Mid C13 north
and south arcades, outer south arcade C13/l4. C13 north doorway. C15
lengthening of nave. The crossing tower and tall spire in Early English
style, of 1861 and 1867 by Raphael Brandon, replaces the medieval spire.
North aisle restored 1882 by Street, south aisle in 1896 by Pearson.
Chancel chapels rebuilt 1865. South porch 1897 by Bodley. North timber
porch of 1862. Monuments: North aisle John Whatton and wives 1656 signed
by Joshua Marshall. Chancel Gabriel Newton 1746 in Rococo style busts
on large pedestal with relief carving. South chapel 1814 John Johnson,
the architect of Assembly Rooms, Hotel Street, standing figure of Hope
with anchor designed by Johnson, sculptor John Bacon the younger.
Nos 2 to 12 (even) St Martin's Cathedral and the Guildhall together with
No 20 Loseby Lane form a groupalso St Mrtins Cathedral forms a group with
Nos 3 to 7 (odd) St Martins East.
Listing NGR: SK5849804454
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.