If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Church of All Saints, Thurlaston

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 7 October 1957
English Heritage Building ID: 188988

OS Grid Reference: SP5021099072
OS Grid Coordinates: 450210, 299072
Latitude/Longitude: 52.5871, -1.2603

Location: Church Street, Thurlaston, Leicestershire LE9 7TE

Locality: Thurlaston
Local Authority: Blaby District Council
County: Leicestershire
Country: England
Postcode: LE9 7TE

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Thurlaston, Leicestershire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

THURLASTON CHURCH STREET
SP 59 NW
7/66
7.10.57 Church of All Saints

II*

Parish church. C13 and C15 west tower. South aisle demolished 1778. Much
restored 1840s and 1850 by Stephen Fry, who rebuilt and extended east end of
north aisle, added vestry, and renewed all tracery. Chancel arch renewed 1861.
Tower restored 1897. Granite rubble with stone dressings and slate roofs. West
tower, nave, north aisle with organ chamber in east bay, north vestry, chancel.
West tower is of 3 stages with chamfered plinth and strings, battlements and
slits to south east stairs. Bell chamber has C19 2-light traceried openings,
and slits below. On west side are a C19 3-light traceried window and door in
C19 4-centred arch. South side has stair door with Caernarvon arch. Other
windows are all in decorated style with tracery, hood moulds and carved stops.
South side of nave has ashlar plinth, moulded sill string, stone eaves corbels,
and 3 bays of 3-light windows. Off-set buttresses. North aisle has 3-light
windows to north, another to west, and traceried triangular window to east.
Blocked north door with moulded arch, hood mould and carved head stops. East
bay is totally C19. Chancel has stone string, cornice and frieze, and 3 bays
of 3-light windows to south. Also on south side is small moulded doorway with
dogtooth ornament and shafted jambs. Large 5-light east window with shaft jambs.
Interior has been stripped of plaster except in chancel. Chamfered tower arch
on moulded piers with moulded capitals, possible re-used. Stairs are corbelled
out inside tower. C13 north arcade with 3 bays of moulded and chamfered arches
on circular piers with crocketted leaf capitals. West bay is of slightly
different build with double hollow chamfered arch, carved head corbels and label
with one carved head stop. North aisle has tomb recess with fine moulded ogee
arch and finial, and 2 C19 moulded arches on shafted piers to chancel. C19
chancel arch, moulded, on half-shafts with foliage scroll capitals. North and
south walls of chancel have cusped arched recesses at east end, both moulded,
south ogee. Pair of cusped ogee recesses with crockets re-sited in vestry.
C19 roofs, that to chancel with trusses on short wall posts with wooden columns.
Late C19-C20 glass and other fittings, including carved stone and mosaic reredos
of 1882. Monuments in north aisle: C14 effigy of Ralph de Turvile in tomb recess;
tomb slabs of Hugh Turvile 1347 and Agnes Turvile 1349, carved with effigies
and inscriptions, the figure of Agnes half concealed by surface of slab; very
fine early C15 tomb chest with ogee side niches containing shield-bearing angels,
and effigies of knight and lady, said to be John and Katherine Turvile 1509.
Wall memorial to Edward and Jane Turvyle of New Halle Parke, 1619, with pair
of oval portrait reliefs in surround with Ionic pilasters, broken pediment and
coat of arms. Another wall memorial to Elizabeth Turvyle, 1653, with half port-
rait, rather melancholy with head on hand and elbow on scull, in cartouche with
scrolled pediment.
(J O Hulme, The History of Thurlaston)


Listing NGR: SP5021099072

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.