British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Michael and All Angels, Cosby

Description: Church of St Michael and All Angels

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 7 October 1957
English Heritage Building ID: 189002

OS Grid Reference: SP5479994859
OS Grid Coordinates: 454799, 294859
Latitude/Longitude: 52.5488, -1.1933

Location: Main Street, Cosby, Leicestershire LE9 1UW

Locality: Cosby
Local Authority: Blaby District Council
County: Leicestershire
Country: England
Postcode: LE9 1UW

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Cosby, Leicestershire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SP 59 SW (west side)

4/12 Church of St.
Michael and All
7.10.57 Angels

G.V. II*

Parish church. C11, C13, C14, C15. Restored 1907 by H. Cayley
and in 1909 by J. F. J. Goodacre. South porch 1975. Random
granite rubble and cobbles and dressed stone with ashlar
dressings and lead roofs. West tower with spire, nave with
clerestorey, vestry and organ chamber, chancel, south aisle,
south porch. West tower, C14, 3 stages, has chamfered plinth
with moulded band, 2 string courses, coved eaves with spouts and
crenellated parapet. 2 diagonal western buttresses and single
south eastern buttress, with setoffs. First stage has to west a
restored shouldered doorway with weather-stripped door and above
it, a late C14 double lancet with panel tracery and hood mould.
Second stage has to north and south, a quatrefoil light. Third
stage has on each side a restored cusped double lancet bell
opening with hood moulds and stops. Above these, to north, south
and west, a clock. Set back octagonal spire has 2 tiers of
lucarnes on alternate faces, all with crocketed gables, the lower
tier having double lancets. Above, crocketed finial and
weathercock. Nave has chamfered plinth, moulded string course,
coved eaves, moulded parapet and coped east gable. North side
has 3 rendered brick buttresses and between the western pair, a
C14 buttress, 2 setoffs. To the west, a double chamfered round
headed doorway with re-set zigzag moulding. 3 renewed triple
lancets with Decorated geometrical tracery, hood moulds and mask
stops. The south side has 4 renewed triple lancet clerestorey
windows with hood moulds and mask stops. The south east corner
has an octagonal rood stair turret with pyramidal roof. Gabled
early C20 organ chamber has a double gable stack and a pair of
diagonal buttresses. Flat headed double lancet to north, single
lancet to east. Flat roofed parapeted vestry, C20, has to north
a lancet and to its right a moulded pointed doorway. To east, a
double lancet with continuous hood mould. Chancel east end has a
pair of diagonal buttresses and a sill band. Renewed C14
Decorated lancet with hood mould and above it, a chamfered single
lancet. South side has a single C2O buttress, flanked to left by
a chamfered C13 doorway and beyond, a chamfered flat headed
single light. Above this, and to its left, 2 large slate
memorial tablets, mid C18, and c.1809. To the east, a renewed
cusped ogee double lancet with flat head. 3 bay south aisle has
chamfered plinth and sill band, coved eaves and coped parapet.
East end has a diagonal buttress and a renewed Geometrical triple
lancet with hood mould and mask stops. To its left, a large
slate memorial tablet, mid C19. South side has to east of the
porch, 2 buttresses with setoffs. and a double lancet with Y
tracery, hood mould and mask stops. To the east again, a
restored cusped double lancet. West of the porch, a renewed
cusped double lancet with hood mould. West end has a renewed C15
double lancet with panel tracery, hood mould and mask stops.
Rendered brick south porch has plain pointed doorway and C19 9
panel door. Interior has 2 brick benches and south doorway with
Tudor arched head and remains of hood mould. Tower arch, C13,
double chamfered and rebated, with octagonal responds with
moulded capitals, and C20 Perpendicular style glazed screen and
doors. South arcade, late C14, 4 bays, has piers with half round
shafts to east and west and thinner round shafts to north and
south running directly into the hood mould. Between the shafts,
a cove and a chamfer. Lozenge shaped bases. Double chamfered
and rebated arches. North side windows have medieval stained
glass fragments in the heads. Low pitched roof has V struts to
principal rafters. South aisle east end has to left a canted
stair enclosure with a4 centred arched plank door. To its left,
a mask corbel. East window has stained glass c.1870, and above
it, a mask stop. South east window has stained glass, 1933, and
central south window has stained glass, C19. Restored roof with
cambered beams with bosses and short wall posts. Chancel has C14
double chamfered and rebated arch with octagonal responds.
Remodelled late C14 traceried screen with round headed central
opening. North side has to east, a square C20 aumbry. East end
has stained glass window, C19, and above it a single lancet with
C20 stained glass. South side has to east a late C13 piscina and
to west a window with C15 stained glass. Panelled barrel vaulted
C19 roof. Fittings, late C19 and early C20, include traceried
oak pulpit, eagle lectern, panelled stalls and desks, plain
benches, 2 arch topped donations boards, 1819. Solid hewn oak
chest, said to be C12. Font with banded round bowl, 1908, on C14
stem with 4 minor shafts. Royal Arms on board, late C18.
Memorials include slate tablet, 1786, urn on corbel, 1888,
enriched marble and slate tablet, 1836, Egyptian style marble and
slate tablet, 1818. 3 late C19 Classical marble and slate
tablets to the Rickards family. Classical tablet, 1854. Stone
wall plaque with bronze war memorial tablets, 1918 and 1945.

Listing NGR: SP5479994859

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.