Description: Church of St Mary and House Adjoining
Date Listed: 5 November 1984
English Heritage Building ID: 189372
OS Grid Reference: SK5300919723
OS Grid Coordinates: 453009, 319723
Latitude/Longitude: 52.7725, -1.2157
SK 51 NW ASHBY ROAD
5/1 (north side)
Church of St Mary and
Roman Catholic church and house adjoining, 1833-4, by William Flint of Leicester.
Stucco. Original church forms chancel of present church, which was enlarged in the
1920s by a 5-bay nave to the south. Massive 4-column south portico flanked by aisle
windows in lugged architraves. Ceramic panel of the Annunciation above central
door. Original church has ceiling with coved sides rising from cornice and west
gallery with iron railing enriched with palmettes. C20 fittings otherwise. House
to west: 2-storey, double-fronted, 3 window range. Giant pilasters supporting
entablature. Lugged architraves and bracketed cills. Pilastered doorcase,
rectangular fanlight, 6-panelled door (2 panels now glazed). C20 casement windows.
Listing NGR: SK5300919723
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.