Description: Garendon Park, the Triumphal Arch
Date Listed: 15 March 1965
English Heritage Building ID: 189382
OS Grid Reference: SK4949919075
OS Grid Coordinates: 449499, 319075
Latitude/Longitude: 52.7670, -1.2678
SK 4919 ASHBY ROAD
9/11 (north side)
15.3.65 Garendon Park,
The Triumphal Arch
Triumphal Arch, of the 1730s, by Ambrose Phillipps of Garendon (d.1737). Of ashlar,
with a moulded round-headed carriage arch, the soffit of which has octagonal
coffering in stucco on brick. The east front has 4 Corinthian columns on tall
pedestals supporting a rich entablature. The attic, crowned by a cornice, has a
fine relief of the Metamorphosis of Actalon. The west side has 2 Corinthian columns
on pedestals with a pediment over the entablature. Cornice crowning attic.
Keystone to arch in form of a head. The interior of the arch has some tiny rooms.
Based on the Arch of Titus in Rome, the Triumphal Arch at Garendon is a very early
(perhaps the earliest) example of an English building inspired directly from an
Ancient Roman source, archaeologically interpreted.
Mark Aironard, "Ambrose Phillipps of Garendon'", Architectural History, 1965.
Listing NGR: SK4949919075
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.