If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 1 January 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 189855
OS Grid Reference: SK8316020931
OS Grid Coordinates: 483160, 320931
Latitude/Longitude: 52.7796, -0.7686
Explore more of the area around Garthorpe, Leicestershire at Explore Britain.
SK 82 SW GARTHORPE MELTON ROAD
1/98 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. Early C13, C14, C15. Restored by J. Day, 1895.
Coursed and squared ironstone and limestone with ashlar dressings
and lead roofs. West tower, nave with clerestory, north aisle,
chancel, south aisle, south porch. West tower, C15, 3 stages,
has moulded plinth, 3 string courses, lozenge frieze with 4
gargoyles, crenellated parapet and 4 pinnacles. Diagonal
buttresses, 4 setoffs. First stage has, to west, double lancet
with panel tracery. Second stage has, to south, 2 quatrefoils.
Third stage has on each side an ogee double lancet opening with
hood mould. Clerestory, C15, 3 bays, has coped east gable with
cross. North side has central cusped double lancet and south
side 3 similar lancets, all with segmental pointed heads and hood
moulds. North aisle, 2 unequal bays, has chamfered plinth and
eaves and coped gables. West end has C14 ogee double lancet with
flamboyant tracery and hood mould. North side has a corner
buttress and a slightly off-centre buttress, both single setoffs.
Near central Decorated ogee double lancet, and to west, moulded
C13 doorway with hood mould. East end has a Decorated round
headed double lancet with hood mould. Chancel, C13 and C15, 2
bays, has chamfered plinth and eaves and coped east gable with
cross. East end has C14 untraceried triple lancet with segmental
pointed head. South side has to west, filleted moulded C13
priest's door with filleted shafts and hood mould, and to east,
late C14 reticulated triple lancet with flat head. South aisle,
3 bays, has chamfered plinth and eaves, coped ends, and 2
diagonal buttresses, 2 setoffs. East end has C14 reticulated
triple lancet. South side has to east, restored Decorated ogee
double lancet. West end has a similar triple lancet. All these
lancets have hood moulds. Restored south porch has chamfered
plinth and eaves, a pair of flanking buttresses, and coped gable
with cross. Restored double chamfered C14 doorway with round
shafts and hood mould. Interior has stone benches and restored
roof with moulded purlin and ridge. C13 keeled and roll moulded
doorway with hood mould. North arcade, mid-C13, has octagonal
piers and round responds, with water holding bases and moulded
abaci. Double chamfered semi-circular arches have hood moulds.
Early C13 south arcade has round piers with water holding bases
and moulded abaci. Chamfered round arches with half-roll and
hollow moulding and hood moulds. Low pitched late C19 roof with
arch braces, on C15 mask corbels. Tower arch, late C13, double.
chamfered and rebated, has round responds with octagonal bases
and abaci. North aisle east and west windows have early C14
stained glass roundels. Restored lean-to roof. South aisle has
similar roof and moulded sill band. East end has to south, C13
cusped piscina and square aumbry. Chancel arch, late C13, double
chamfered and rebated, has octagonal responds and hood mould.
Chancel north side has to west, blocked window and to east, C14
moulded tomb recess. Above it, aumbry with crocketed nodding
ogee canopy on mask corbels, with miniature flanking buttresses.
East end has C19 stained glass window. South side has to east,
C13 piscina with mask corbel, and to its right, seat in window
recess. Panelled C19 ceiling with arch braces on mask corbels.
Fittings include Perpendicular style reredos, stalls and desks
with shaped ends, all late C19. Round eggcup font, C17.
Octagonal traceried oak pulpit and octagonal font with flying
buttresses, both by the Rev. W. Thorold, 1899. Decorated style
font cover, 1898. C19 donations and Commandments boards. Royal
Arms, George III, on board. Memorials include double oval
cartouche, 1722, 3 brasses, C20 and roll of honour, 1918.
Listing NGR: SK8316020931
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.