If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Egelwin the Martyr
Date Listed: 1 January 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 190262
OS Grid Reference: SK7629724129
OS Grid Coordinates: 476297, 324129
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8093, -0.8695
There is also a scheduled monument, Churchyard Cross in St Egelwin's Churchyard, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around Scalford, Leicestershire at Explore Britain.
SCALFORD CHURCH STREET
SK 76 24 -7724 Church of St Egelwin the
Parish church. C13 and C15. Tower rebuilt 1639; Chancel rebuilt 1845.
Restored 1858 by Millican and Smith. Chancel, S chancel chapel/organ
chamber, aisled nave, S porch and W tower.
Coursed ironstone rubble and ashlar, with limestone dressings, lead roof,
except for Welsh slate roof to chancel. 2-bay chancel of ashlar has 4-light
Perpendicular-style E window and 2.-light windows N and S with trefoil-
headed lights all with hood moulds.
Chancel has datestone of 1845 above E window, offset angle buttresses and
offset buttresses between S windows and stone-coped E gable with kneelers
and stone cross to apex. Former chancel chapel, now organ chamber,
continues N aisle and has 3-light E window with intersecting tracery and 2-
light window to N with 4-centred head and transom, both with hood moulds.
Nave has 5-window clerestory of 3-light windows with 4-centred heads,
Perpendicular tracery and hood moulds, and battlemented parapet with
crocketed pinnacles to E angles. N aisle has 3-light window to NE with
intersecting tracery, a 3-light window to middle of N wall with pointed
trefoil-headed side lights flanking lancet-shaped central light, a 2-light
window to NW with quatrefoil to head and 1-light W window with C19
Decorated-style tracery. S aisle has battlemented parapet. 3-light E and W
windows with intersecting tracery and 2-light windows to S, that to SE with
quatrefoil in circle to head, the other two with encircled trefoils to
heads. S door has continuous hollow chamfer outermost, shafts and roll-
moulded arch innermost.
Large S porch, formerly 2-storied with parvise and doorway with continuous
chamfer outermost, semi-circular responds innermost with moulded capitals
and hood mould with label stops.
3 inches above doorway with crocketed nodding ogee canopies and continuous
sill with foliage decoration. Porch is flanked by off-set buttresses to
outer angles which have niches to upper section with crocketed nodding ogee
canopies and pointed trefoils to gablets above. 3-stage tower has moulded W
door with basket-arched head and hood mould. 3-light window above has 3
lights, Perpendicular tracery, brattished transom and hood mould. Datestone
to S side below middle stage window with coat of arms and date 1639. 2-
light windows to middle stage with Y tracery and Ogee-arched hood moulds.
2-light paired bell-chamber openings with brattishing transoms and hood
moulds. Offset clasping buttresses, and cusped lozenge frieze to base of
battlemented parapet which has gargoyles and crocketed pinnacles to angles.
Interior: Triple-chamfered chancel arch, polygonal responds and capitals
with stiff-leaf foliage and heads between them. Nave has 5-bay arcades with
circular piers with circular abaci, semi-circular responds, double-chamfered
arches, capitals with stiff-leaf foliage to N and moulded capitals to S.
Former N chancel chapel has trefoil-headed piscina. Two tomb recesses in N
aisle with ballflower Ornament, the outermost cut by polygonal respond of
arch between aisle and chapel. S aisle has trefoil-headed piscina. Tall
double-chamfered tower arch, chamfer continuous outermost polygonal responds
Circular C19 alabaster and marble font with terracotta plaques. Clock
mechanism of 1750, mounted in S aisle.
Monuments: Brass of 1520 with kneeling gentleman and indent for his wife.
Brass plaque in chancel to Elizabeth Bardsey d.1624. Brass plaque in S
aisle with coat of arms to Edward Darker d.1651.
Buildings of England Leics 1984 p. 368.9.
Listing NGR: SK7629724129
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.