Withcote Hall, Withcote
Description: Withcote Hall
Date Listed: 19 October 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 190653
OS Grid Reference: SK7963605816
OS Grid Coordinates: 479636, 305816
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6443, -0.8244
Location: Withcote, Leicestershire LE15 8DP
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
SK 70 NE OAKHAM ROAD (South East Side)
2/124 Withcote Hall
Country House. Early C18, incorporating fragments of an earlier building
restored early C19. Finely coursed ironstone with limestone ashlar dressings
and Swithland slate roofs. 2 storeyed with attics. Entrance (west) front of
7-bays (2-3-2) the central 3 bays advanced slightly and pedimented. Central
doorway in porch that is probably a C19 addition, but appropriately detailed
with scrolly open pediment. 12-light sash windows flank the doorway, while
above it, the central window is given emphasis by a lugged architrave with
volutes. In the apex of the pediment is a finely wrought shield of arms. Outer
bays have 2-light sash windows to each floor, blind to ground floor right.
All windows are in architraves with key stones. Plinth and string-course which
is continuous across the facade and rises to form hoodmoulds to lower windows.
Quoins on angles and to pedimented centre. Coved eaves cornice. Garden front
(south) of 9 bays, 2-5-2, the outer bays forming projecting wings with hipped
roofs and 12-light sash windows in each floor. Blank openings on their inner
faces. Central doorway with broken pediment containing an urn, lightly supported
on re-used Jacobean pilasters: high bases to fluted shafts with lozenge decoration
in capital. Windows are all 12-light sashes with architraves with key stones,
and string-course forms hoodmoulds to ground floor openings. Roof recessed
slightly beyond parapet. 3 segmentally arched gabled dormers in central section.
Axial stacks. Against rear wall a derelict single storeyed range with 3 windows
and blocked door with shell canopy, re-used and probably late C17. In the
north wall of the house a single 2-light caveto moulded mullioned window with
hoodmoulds to first floor suggests its earlier origins.
A tablet in the church records that Reverend Henry Palmer, d. 1856, extensively
restored the house, and so presumably much of the interior work is his: 2
rooms have very richly worked plaster panelled ceilings, probably executed
by Italian craftsmen. Deep rectangular panels in each, in the dining room
these are heavily worked with a design of flowers and urns etc. in the sitting
room each section of panelling is differently wrought with tiny intricate
patterns, and there is a frieze with blank shields. Another room has parquet
wall panelling throughout laid to form geometric patterns in dado. Central
hall, top lit by lantern, also with fine plaster work ceiling, and late C18
staircase, cantilevered stone with wrought iron balustrade. House reputedly
built by Matthew Johnson, d. 1723, who bought the estate from the poet and
favourite of Charles II, Lord Rochester.
Listing NGR: SK7963605816
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.