If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Michael and All Angels
Date Listed: 7 December 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 190817
OS Grid Reference: SP7865596531
OS Grid Coordinates: 478655, 296531
Latitude/Longitude: 52.5609, -0.8411
There is also a scheduled monument, Butter Cross 150m East of the Church, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around Hallaton, Leicestershire at Explore Britain.
SP7896-7996 HALLATON CHURCHGATE (South Side)
8/42 Church of St. Michael
and All Angels
Parish Church, C12 - C13, with additions in C14 and C15. Ironstone rubble with
limestone dressings. West tower and spire, nave with two aisles and clerestory,
chancel. C13 tower of three stages, the lowest of ironstone the rest limestone,
with slim buttresses. Small west door in chamfered archway window over, and
paired 2-light long lancet openings to bell chamber, in shafted recesses with
nail head decoration, in the third stage. Corbel table and heavy C13 broach
spire with stumpy pinnacles at angles and two tiers of lucarnes. Vestry of 1923
in south west angle. Early C14 south aisle is ashlar faced to sill level then
ironstone, embattled parapet with gargoyles, and buttresses. Doorway in C15
porch with round shaft to outer arch and buttresses in plane of coped gable.
Two coffin lids, probably C12 or C13 with crosses in low relief set against its
internal east wall. C14 inner doorway, shafted with corbel heads. Aisle windows
are of 3-lights with flowing Decorated tracery. Ironstone rubble to chancel
with unprojecting ashlar sill band. Fabric probably C13. One Perpendicular
low side window to south with square headed lights and two early Decorated plate
traceried lights. East window is a Victorian restoration of 3-lights, flowing
Decorated tracery in shafted recess. Traces of blocked doorway associated with
staircase within in east wall. Large Rococo memorial against the north wall,
to the Reverend George Fenwicke, d.1760; a high predella with swags flanking
the inscription is capped by urns flanking a central block with shield of arms
and volutes, surmourted by central obelisk and urns. C14 north aisle, incorporating
masonry (visible in west wall) of narrower C12 aisle. At its eastern angle is
a large octagonal turret, and there is a rib-vaulted chamber below. The turret
is decorated with traceried panels, trefoiled and crocketted niches, and a quatrefoil
freize and is surmounted by a pinnacle with fleurons. Quatrefoil freize continues
across parapet of aisle. 3-light Decorated windows and doorway in C15 porch,
the inner arch roll moulded and hollow chamfered. In the internal west wall
of porch, a Romanesque tympanum is incorporated. It represents St. Michael triumphing
over the dragon, with two tiny human suplicants in the lower corner.
Inside, the Church is below the ground level to the north. Nave arcades of four
bays. North arcade is the earlier, C12. High bases to round shafts and capitals
with square abaci. The capitals begin at the west with a simple fluted design
and become more elaborate towards the east with ornate water leaf. The third
shaft is octagonal belonging to an added C13 eastern bay. The arches are unchamfered
and stepped and with outer hood mould. South arcade is C14, double chamfered
arches on octagonal shafts. East and West responds seem to belong to an earlier
arcade, cylindrical, that to east has capital with stylized and rather simple
foliage on stalks. Squared C15 clerestory lights in splays with C18 glazing
to north, paired foiled lights to south. C13 tower arch with clustered shafts
and triple chamfered arch. Profile of former roof visible above it. Victorian
tie beam and king post roof with bosses. Sill band in north aisle which has
tie beam roof. Ogee archway to south door with outer hood mould on corbel heads.
Sill course and hood moulds with corbel heads to south aisle windows. Sedilia.
Victorian chancel arch, springing from very high corbels, with stone screen below.
Windows set in shafted recesses. Sedilia and piscina in the same scheme, clustered
shafts and richly moulded arches with nail head decoration. In the east wall
an archway leads to the remains of a spiral staircase set in the thickness of
the wall. Its purpose is unknown, but may have been associated with external
pulpit, or sacristy.
Stained glass : in the chancel, the east window of 1899 is by Kempe as is one
south west window and the east window of the south aisle. These latter are of
1882, and feature in the chancel window angels playing musical instruments, and
in the aisle window arch angels, all with peacock feathered wings. Other chancel
windows in a medieaval style of 1820 and 1825, and in a Preraphaelite style to
the north of 1886 and 1924, by Powell. Two brightly coloured windows in mediaeval
style in the north aisle, c1870. Hatchment in south aisle, various C18 war memorials
in chancel and in spandrels of north arcade. C13 font, a round drum-like basin
with four shafts, forming angles; they are capped by heads of men, facing east
and monster-like beasts representing evil, facing west. Saxon tomb slab in north
aisle, with interlaced decoration. C18 charity board and C19 commandments board
in the tower.
Listing NGR: SP7865596531
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.