If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Andrew
Date Listed: 7 December 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 191339
OS Grid Reference: SP6990789745
OS Grid Coordinates: 469907, 289745
Latitude/Longitude: 52.5011, -0.9716
Explore more of the area around Foxton, Leicestershire at Explore Britain.
SP 68 NE FOXTON SWINGBRIDGE STREET
4/14 Church of St Andrew
Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C17, restored 1893 by H Hardwicke Langs of
London, and by William White. West tower, nave, north aisle, north porch, south
aisle, chancel. Coursed rubblestone and ashlar dressings with copper clad roofs.
West tower; 5 stages, lower 3 are C13 with chamfered plinth and 4 stringcourses
dividing the stages, cavetto moulded cornice with crenellation above. Angle
buttress at south-west corner, diagonal buttress at north-west corner, both with
set-offs. West tower stage has large C13 lancet with hoodmould. Above in 2nd
stage, a smaller lancet. To west, north and south in the 3rd stage a clock face
of 1908. Each elevation has C15 2-light bell-openings with square frames and
hoodmoulds. Clerestory, 5 bays with 4-centred arch 3-light windows with concave
moulded frames and hoodmoulds. 2 lead downpipes and coped gable. North aisle has
heavily moulded plinth and coped parapet. Tower of porch a buttress with set-offs
and then a 3-light window with panel tracery and hoodmould with headstops. To
east of porch a similar buttress and window followed by a buttress with set-offs
and a 3-light window with flowing tracery and hoodmould with headstops. Diagonal
buttress with set-offs at north-east corner. East wall has a C17 3-light window
in square frame with splayed mullions and jambs. Below this are 2 C19 memorial
tablets. North porch, C14, has coped gable with finial, plain tile roof and
diagonal buttresses with set-offs. Chamfered doorway with hoodmould and headstops
and C20 glazed wooden door. A single light window on east and west walls.
Inside, oak benches. North doorway is heavily moulded with plank door. Chancel,
east part rebuilt in a C17 coped gable with finial. North wall has from west to
east, a single light wooden casement then a lancet with hoodmould and then a
priest's doorway with hoodmould and plank door. Then a tall plinth with reset
headstone dated 1703. Plinth continues across east wall. 4-light east window
with hoodmould. South wall has from east to west, a C13 pointed arch window with
Y-tracery and hoodmould. Then a tall lancet, and then a 3-light window with hood-
mould and stops. South aisle has coped parapet. 3-light east window with hood-
mould and stops. South wall has from east to west, a large 4-light window with
hoodmould, then a lead downpipe, then a blocked 4-centred arch doorway, then a
3-light window with hoodmould and then a lead downpipe. Above to west, a C19
flat-topped stack. Interior: 5-bay nave arcades with pointed arches, continuous
hoodmould and double-chamfered piers with engaged shafts with moulded capitals and
bases. Double chamfered tower arch closed by C20 part-glazed wooden screen and
door. Earlier roofline visible above. Low, C13 triple-chamfered chancel arch
with triple shafted responds with moulded capitals and bases. Former entry to
rood stair to north side. North aisle has a double aumbry in north wall. South
aisle has west bay closed by C20 part-glazed wooden screens. War memorial in
blocked doorway on south wall. Chancel had slightly squared squint in north
wall. Piscina with 2 arched openings and blank quatrefoil above, in south wall.
Rare C12 font in north aisle, with large square bowl decorated with beaded inter-
secting arches, supported on 4 engaged shafts on an octagonal base, which is not
C12. C15 nave roof, repaired in C19. Moulded trusses decorated with brattishing
and carved central bosses. Moulded side purlins. Openwork lancets between
trusses and ridge beam. Trusses with female figures supporting ridge piece. C15
chancel roof, renewed C19. C15 aisle roofs with brattished trusses and carved
bosses. Altar, altar rail, choir stalls, pews, pulpit, lectern, all C19. Various
C19/C20 memorial tablets on north wall of chancel and north wall of north aisle,
including 5 C19 memorials to Cerrance family in chancel. Fragment of Anglo-Saxon
work, possibly a stone jamb, with latticed plaiting in south aisle. Large late
C18 wooden board with detail of 'Donations and bequeaths to the poor of Foxton
parish', in south aisle. Late C18 board to south of tower arch, 'A table of
kindred and affinity' etc. Plaque giving date of restoration, 1893 on north wall
next to doorway. Clock c1680, are wooden frame and iron cogs and gears, in south
aisle; replaced in 1908. C19/C20 tiled and wooden parquet floors, with flagstones
at north entrance.
VCH, V, 94-5.
Listing NGR: SP6990789745
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.