Church of St John the Baptist, Amber Hill
Description: Church of St John the Baptist
Date Listed: 5 April 1988
English Heritage Building ID: 192067
OS Grid Reference: TF2189647348
OS Grid Coordinates: 521896, 347348
Latitude/Longitude: 53.0096, -0.1847
Location: Amber Hill, Lincolnshire PE20 3RN
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
TF 24 NW AMBER HILL CLAYDIKE BANK
3/14 Church of St. John
Parish church. 1867 by Edward Browning, in neo Norman style.
Red brick with darker red brick dressings, and some ashlar
dressings. Welsh slate roof with lead dressings. Nave with
western bellcote, southern porch, facetted chancel. The west end
has plinth, chamfered band, dogtooth and 5 corbelled eaves
courses terminating on dentillated pilasters. 4 deep buttresses
with raking steps. The 3 light west window has semi-circular
heads to the lights with moulded brick mullions and 3 plain
circular lights set in the brick tympanum. It is flanked by
single buttresses and single tall semi-circular headed lights.
The gabled double bellcote has ashlar coping and kneelers, and
its tumbled raking walls are supported on a dentillated base.
The bell openings are semi-circular headed. The sides have
plinth, moulded cill band, corbelled and dentillated eaves with
stepped raking buttresses dividing the window bays which contain
paired semi-circular headed lights with roll moulded brick
surrounds. The north side has 5 pairs. The chancel has single
semi-circular headed lights with a circular window above under
pointed relieving arch in each of the 5 facetted sides. The
south side of the nave has 4 pairs of windows and a gabled porch
with tall semi-circular headed outer doorway having 2 orders of
moulded terracotta roll moulding and foliate capitals. In the
side walls are triple rectangular lights. The inner doorway is
similar with roll moulded reveals and deeply moulded terracotta
capitals. The planked double doors have contemporary iron
hinges. Interior. Yellow brick faced walls with red brick
dressings. All windows and rear arches in red brick. Hammer
beam roof supported on long ashlar corbels. Steeply pointed red
brick moulded chancel arch with roll moulded responds and moulded
stiff leaf terracotta imposts. Chancel has fleur de lys decorated
tile course beneath wall plate, and 2 carved ashlar wall shaft
corbels. Fine glazed relief tile reredos. Contemporary circular
Listing NGR: TF2189647348
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.