If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Date Listed: 26 January 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 192089
OS Grid Reference: TF3049338527
OS Grid Coordinates: 530493, 338527
Latitude/Longitude: 52.9283, -0.0601
Explore more of the area around Kirton, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.
TF 33 NW KIRTON HIGH STREET
(north west side)
9/37 Church of
St. Peter and
26.1.67 St. Paul
Parish church. Mid C12, late C12, C13, C14, C15, c.1500 crossing
tower and transepts demolished, and chancel shortened 1805 by
William Haywood and stonework used for building west tower and
extending aisles. 1900 restoration by Hodgson Fowler, 1907.
Limestone ashlar and lead roofs. Western tower, nave and
chancel, clerestory, aisles, south porch. Tall 4 stage tower
rebuilt in 1805 from materials of former crossing tower, with
bell moulded plinth, string courses, quatrefoil frieze to belfry
stage, battlemented parapet with gargoyles and corner pinnacles.
Stepped set back buttresses with canopied niches containing
statues to west. To belfry stage are large 3 light openings with
cusped panel tracery and moulded 4 centred surrounds. C14 west
door with continuously moulded and pointed surround. Above an
ogee headed niche recording church remodelling in 1803-1810.
West window of 4 lights, curvilinear tracery and moulded
surround. Above is a pair of double lancets with cusped ogee
heads, quatrefoils and wave moulded surrounds. In the aisles are
blank moulded and pointed window openings, both have embattled
parapets and crocketed gablettes to buttresses. North aisle has
6 tall early C14 3 light cusped Y traceried windows in chamfered
and moulded surrounds, divided by gabled stepped buttresses. The
western bay is an extension of c.1805. Gabled north porch has
early C13 double chamfered outer arch with shafted imposts,
octagonal capitals and above an ashlar plaque records the
restoration. The inner doorway is also early C13 with collar
shafted reveals and deeply moulded pointed head. To left a C14
canopied recess. Elaborate c.1500 clerestorey of 12 triple
lights, panelled tracery beneath chamfered triangular arches.
Above a frieze of blank shields and quatrefoils with pinnacles to
the embattled parapet. In the east wall is a blank window and
there is a further blank window in the north wall of the chancel.
Beyond a large 4 light C15 window, panel traceried with a hollow
chamfered surround. c.1900 east window of 5 lights, panel
traceried with hollow surround. In the chancel south wall are 2
windows matching that to the north and in the east window of the
aisle a further blank window. In the south wall of the aisle are
6 tall C14 4 light windows with curvilinear tracery and moulded
pointed surrounds. The western bay is an extension of c.1805.
Panelled parapet with blank shields and quatrefoils matching the
nave clerestory. A lead rainwater hopper is dated 1785. Gabled
south porch has double chamfered outer arch with shafted reveals,
late C12 inner doorway with triple shafted and collared reveals,
circular capitals and 3 orders of moulding to the head comprising
dogtooth with bead and reel, chevrons, and lozenges; all in high
relief. Interior. 6 bay C14 nave arcades with slender circular
shafts, annular capitals and double chamfered arches. Above are
blank cusped headed panels to the wall surface. c.1500 nave roof
retains moulded and brattished tie beams and some principals, all
supported on octagonal stone corbels with carved wooden figures.
In east wall of the tower a C12 doorway, 2 orders of colonnettes,
zigzag and lozenges, above is a tall blank opening with a moulded
and pointed head, the original west doorway of the Church. A C14
cusped ogee headed piscina at the west end of the nave, moved
from the chancel in 1804. West organ gallery supported on 4
slender fluted Ionic columns with acanthus frieze and dentillated
cornice, above a raised and fielded panelled parapet, all of
1761, altered 1907. C14 double chamfered chancel arch supported
on C13 filleted shafted reveals on tall moulded bases, to former
crossing piers. In the east wall of the north aisle the
springing of the transept arch remains. Chancel has c.1900
wooden barrel vaulted roof. Good painted panelled reredos.
Early C20 fittings including chancel screen of 1914 with painted
rood. In the south aisle a segmental pedimented aedicule with
swag contains an oil painting in an eared and shouldered
surround. Octagonal font, plain shields to cusped side panels,
C19 base, and inscription round bowl records donation in 1405.
Monuments. In the chancel a pedimented marble wall plaque to
Vincent Colby d.1756, with escutcheon and urn.
Listing NGR: TF3049138530
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.