If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Michael and All Angels
Date Listed: 23 August 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 192357
OS Grid Reference: SK9080659732
OS Grid Coordinates: 490806, 359732
Latitude/Longitude: 53.1270, -0.6444
Explore more of the area around Bassingham, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.
BASSINGHAM NEWARK ROAD
SK 95 NW
4/6 Church of St Michael
and All Angels.
Parish church. Cll, C12, C13, C15. 1782 by Thomas Bell and restored 1860 by
J H Hakewill. West tower, nave with noth and south aisles, south porch, chancel
and north chantry chapel, now vestry. Coursed rubble and ashlar with lead roofs.
Ashlar quoins. Tower rebuilt 1782, 3 stages with chamfered plinth, plain first
stage band, moulded second stage band and plain cill band, topped with moulded
band, battlements and 4 crocketed pinnacles. To west a deeply recessed pointed
arched doorway and to south a small flat headed doorway. Each side has a circular
opening on the second stage, and a single light pointed arched bell opening
in an Early English style. The clerestory is of 5 bays, topped with ornate
battlements and crocketed pinnacles, the gable has a moulded coped parapet
surmounted by a cross. The north aisle is topped by a moulded coped parapet,
and has a small C15 chamfered doorway with a triangular head. To the left is
a 2 light C15 window with segment headed lancets under a triangular head, beyond
is a buttress and then another similar window. Beyond that a 2 light flat headed
window and then another buttress. To the right is a 2 light flat headed window
with panel tracery under a hood mould. The vestry has a 2 light chamfered mullion
window to the north, and to the south a round headed 3 light window with flowing
tracery under a hood mould with head label stops. The chancel, largely rebuilt
1860, has a single pointed lancet to the north, and a large 5 light window with
intersecting tracery under a hood mould with label stops to the east. The south
wall has 3 tall pointed arched windows with Y tracery all under hood moulds
with label stops, there is also a small pointed arched doorway. The south aisle
has a battlemented parapet with to the east a pointed arched window with flowing
tracery, under a hood mould with label stops. On the south are 2, 2-light flat
headed windows with panel tracery under hood moulds. The south porch has a
plinth and side buttresses, and a coped gable with kneelers topped with a cross.
A pointed arched opening with double chamfered arch and single shafts. The
interior has stone benches and the south doorway has a double chamfered pointed
arch. Interior: The 3 bay north arcade, rebuilt 1860, has round arches, and
2 circular piers with scalloped capitals. Beyond to the east a single tall
C13 pointed double chamfered arch with octagonal responds and moulded capitals.
The 2 bay C13 south arcade has a circular pier and responds with a ribbed leaf
capital. Beyond to the east is an arch similar to that on the north arcade,
there are 2 more of these arches in the north wall of the chancel. Small pointed
tower arch of 1782, the unusual chancel arch with zig-zag decoration was rebuilt
1860. Octagonal C15 fort with quatrefoils. Remains of C15 screen in lower
arch. 6, C16 linen-fold panelling bench ends, in the west of the nave, the
remainder C19. C15 nave roof, restored 1960, the remainder of the roofs C19.
2 late C18 commandment boards in the tower. A single charity board in the south
aisle. C19 altar rail, organ and encaustic tiles. C19 pulpit has single panel
dated 1674. Alms box dated 1668. Stained glass east window by F X Zettler
of Munich c1900.
Listing NGR: SK9080659732
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.