British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Edith, Anwick

Description: Church of St Edith

Grade: I
Date Listed: 1 February 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 192548

OS Grid Reference: TF1145150634
OS Grid Coordinates: 511451, 350634
Latitude/Longitude: 53.0414, -0.3391

Location: 20 Church Lane, Anwick, Lincolnshire NG34 9SS

Locality: Anwick
Local Authority: North Kesteven District Council
County: Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: NG34 9SS

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

There is also a scheduled monument, Churchyard Cross, St Edith's Churchyard, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.

Explore more of the area around Anwick, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TF 15 SW
(east side)
1/2 Church of
St. Edith
G.V. I

Parish church: Late C13, C14, restored 1859, chancel restored
1900, spire repaired after lightning strike in 1906, south aisle
restored 1915, nave re-roofed 1916. Limestone ashlar, some
coursed rubble. Westmorland slate and lead roofs. West tower,
nave, chancel, north and south aisles, south porch. Tower of 3
stages, chamfered plinth, gabled and crocketed set back
buttresses, moulded string course with animal heads to broach
spire. Spire has 3 tiers of lucarnes in alternating directions,
cupsed reticulated tracery, human head stops and foliate
terminals. In the belfry stage are 4 louvred 2 light bell
openings with cusped reticulated tracery. On the south side is a
single lancet with trefoil head, and to the west is a similar
window. C14 north aisle with chamfered plinth, gabled
buttresses, coped gables and a slate roof. To the west is a 2
light window with cusped reticulated tracery, ogee heads to the
lights and a wave moulded pointed head. To the north are 3
smaller similar windows and a late C13 doorway with engaged
shafted reveals, keeled moulded head and 2 orders of dogtoothing.
In the east wall is a 3 light window matching the rest. The
chancel has 2 tall C14 2 light windows, now with pointed and
moulded heads of the 1900 restoration. To the east is a large 5
light window with restored curvilinear tracery with cusped
mouchettes, a quatrefoil and trefoil heads to the lights. To the
south is a narrow priest's door, moulded reveals and moulded
pointed head, also a tall 2 light C14 window with quatrefoil to
the head. The south aisle matches the north with 3 two light
windows to the side and a 3 light window to the east. Gabled
C14 south porch, gabled set back buttresses, filleted double
shafted reveals, double wave moulded head. C14 south door
withslender filleted double shafted reveals, annular capitals and
richly moulded head, now minus its stops. Interior: 4 bay nave
arcades, the late C13 north arcade with quatrefoil filleted
shafts, hobnail annular capitals, chamfered and rolled arches
with dogtoothing and human head stops. The south arcade has
matching shafts but double wave moulded arches, hollow moulded
hoods and human head stops. Above the north arcade is a worn
wall painting of a seated human figure. The nave roof of 1916
has scalloped principals. C14 tower arch, filleted double
shafted reveals, double wave moulded head. Above is the hacked
back gable of an earlier nave roof. In the south aisle a pointed
single chamfered doorway to the rood loft. Chancel was restored
in 1900 and has a triple sedilia of that date with cusped headed
compartments and beyond a contemporary piscina. The elevated
altar has a marble reredos. Fittings: 1900 oak choir stalls and
pulpit, C19 pitch pine pews. In the tower a fine painted royal
arms of Queen Anne dated 1708. In the south aisle an impressive
though damaged C14 limestone carving of the Virgin and Child,
discovered in the blocking of the rood stair during the 1859
restoration; naturalistic drapery, fleurons to base, extensive
traces of red, green and blue paint. Plain C14 octagonal font
with double chamfered plinth to roll moulded octagonal stem.
There are also 3 sections of early C12 octagonal shafts, one with
a scalloped capital, perhaps from the belfry lights of an earlier
tower. Monuments: in the chancel a limestone wall plaque to
Elizabeth Everingham, d.1707, draped cartouche with cherub over
and epitaph panel beneath. Also an illegible painted scrolled
panel, dated 1745, with cherubs and roses. In the south aisle a
wall plaque to Gerard Gardiner, d.1742, debased Corinthian
columns supporting a segmental pediment with fluted keyblock,
cherub and flaming urn.

Listing NGR: TF1144950647

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.