British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Nicholas, Walcot Near Folkingham

Description: Church of St Nicholas

Grade: I
Date Listed: 1 February 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 192746

OS Grid Reference: TF0600835163
OS Grid Coordinates: 506008, 335163
Latitude/Longitude: 52.9035, -0.4253

Location: Walcot, Lincolnshire NG34 0ST

Locality: Walcot Near Folkingham
Local Authority: North Kesteven District Council
County: Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: NG34 0ST

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

(North Side)

7/113 Church of St. Nicholas
G.V. 1

Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, C17, C18, foundations renewed 1889,
restored 1907, 1926. Limestone ashlar, some coursed limestone rubble, lead
roofs. West tower and spire, clerestoried nave, chancel, north and south
aisles and south porch. 2 stage C14 west tower, chamfered plinth and string
courses, stepped and gabled set back buttresses. Tall crocketed broach
spire with 3 tiers of gabled lucarnes in alternating directions with paired
trefoil lights in the lower stages and single lights to the topmost, all
with gables and finials. In the belfry stage are paired trefoil headed
louvered lights with quatrefoils in wave moulded pointed surrounds. In the
west wall ground stage is a single matching window. The west wall of the
south aisle contains a C14 2 light window with cusped ogee heads to the
lights and a chamfered rectangular surround. In the north aisle wall is a
similar window but with a cambered and hollow chamfered surround. In the
north wall of the aisle are three 3 light and a single 2 light window
matching that to the west, also a blocked pointed doorway with a hollow
moulded continuous surround and a plain head. The C15 clerestorey has three
2 light windows with trilobed heads and panel tracery in triangular headed
hollow moulded surrounds. In the north chancel wall is a 2 light C14 window
with cusped ogee heads to the lights and a wave moulded rectangular
surround. Fine C14 east window of 5 lights, cusped flowing tracery forming
quatrefoils and mouchettes, pointed wave moulded surround with human head
stops to the hollow moulded head. In the south wall of the chancel is a
broad 3 light C14 window with cusped ogee heads to the lights and a
cambered wave moulded surround. The south aisle has a chamfered plinth,
gabled buttresses and a plain parapet. To the east is a 2 light window with
cusped ogee heads to the lights and a chamfered rectangular surround. To
the south are 3 matching 3 light windows but with hollow moulded surrounds.
Also an ogee headed continuously moulded priest's door with crocketed
gablet and pinnacles. The clerestorey matches that to the north. The gabled
south porch has a pointed double chamfered outer doorway and in the west
wall a cross shaped embrasure window with 2 reset fragments of C12 chevron
decorated voussoirs. To the east is a window dated 1926 of 2 paired
lancets, 2 further voussoirs and a C12 waterleaf capital. The inner doorway
is C14, with richly moulded head and floriate capitals, hollow moulded head
and human head stops. Early C18 bolection moulded and panelled softwood
door. Interior: 3 bay nave arcades, all piers and responds are circular and
C12 apart from a shafted pillar on the north side. Octagonal embattled
capitals, double chamfered C13 arches. C14 double chamfered tower arch has
moulded octagonal responds and shafts, above can be seen the earlier nave
pitch. The C14 braced tie beam roof is supported on fluted stone corbels
and the aisle roofs match. In the south aisle is a C13 trefoil headed
piscina with hobnail decorated hood, also a C14 piscina with fluted basin,
crockets to the undersides, cusped ogee head and crocketed gable with
finial. In the north wall of the aisle is an arched opening to the chancel
with wave moulding, and in the east wall are 3 statue brackets and a
blocked rectangular squint. In the north aisle is a plain aumbry, 2 statue
brackets and a squint. In the south wall is a broad round headed chamfered
arch into the chancel, in the eastern side of which is a circular piscina
with human head support. The chancel arch has C12 circular responds, that
to the south with stiff leaf foliage to the capital, and a pointed double
chamfered arch. It bears traces of red and blue paint on the south side. In
the cill of the chancel south window is a fluted piscina.Fittings: Widely
spaced late C17 turned baluster altar rails with moulded hand rail. Carved
panelled C19 oak reredos. A fine set of C14 bench ends with blank tracery,
ears of corn, plants, rosettes and a shield. C13 circular tub font with
pointed foliate panels to the sides and a band of foliage with human heads
beneath. In the nave is an oak chest mode from C17 wainscotting, and in the
north aisle an oak chest contains a reset C13 decorated panel in the front
with trilobes and cusped arches and has an early C18 oak raised and fielded
panelled lid. Monuments: In the north aisle is the matrix of a small brass
to Isaac Laughton, d. 1635.

Listing NGR: TF0600835163

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.