British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Andrew, Denton

Description: Church of St Andrew

Grade: I
Date Listed: 20 September 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 193286

OS Grid Reference: SK8654432515
OS Grid Coordinates: 486544, 332515
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8831, -0.7153

Location: 109 Church Street, Denton, Lincolnshire NG32 1LG

Locality: Denton
Local Authority: South Kesteven District Council
County: Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: NG32 1LG

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

There is also a scheduled monument, Churchyard Cross, St Andrew's Churchyard, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.

Explore more of the area around Denton, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SK 8632-8732
(south side)
10/45 Church of St.Andrew
G.V. I
Parish church. c.1200, c.1300, C14, C15, C16, restoration of
1887-8 by Sir Arthur Blomfield, tower restored 1904, by Mr. Weir,
architect. Squared ironstone rubble with limestone ashlar
dressings, lead roofs behind battlemented parapets throughout.
Western tower, nave with clerestory, aisles, north chapel, south
porch, chancel. The tall C15 5 stage tower has stepped corner
buttresses terminating in octagonal pinnacles, bell moulded
plinth, 4 chamfered string courses, quatrefoil frieze with coved
cornice to parapet decorated with rosettes and animal heads,
grotesque spout to south side. To the belfry stage on all 4
sides a pair of 2 light louvred openings with trefoil heads and
quatrefoils over, and in the stage below a pair of blank openings
with cinquefoil heads, the centre of the openings pierced by
quatrefoils. On the south side of the tower a stair turret in
the angle, has a C19 pointed doorway at the base and 2 narrow
stair lights above. To the second stage of the tower a trefoil
headed crocketed and pinnacled niche with star vault andto the
third stage a rectangular light. The double concave moulded and
pointed west door with hood is flanked by single niches matching
that on the south. The 4 light west window above has concave
moulded surround with 4 centred arched head, recut tracery with
brattished transom and ogee heads to the lights with flowing
traceried panels. Above a rectangular light. On the north side
a further niche and rectangular light. The north aisle is one
bay east of the tower and a C14 2 light clerestory window is
exposed in the nave wall. The remaining 4 clerestory windows are
concealed behind the south aisle parapet. The north aisle has 5
stepped buttresses, chamfered and roll moulded plinth. The C15
west window is of 3 lights with 4 centred heads to the lights,
set in chamfered surround with hood mould. At high level is a
projecting cut stone possibly relating to an earlier arcade. The
pointed early C13 north doorway has a chamfered and concave
moulded surround with hood and human head label stops. To the
east are a pair of late C13 3 light windows with intersecting
tracery, hood moulds with human head stops and in the north
chapel a C16 3 light window with deeply cut concave surround, 4
centred arched head and cusped heads to the lights. In the east
end a large C16 3 light window with double concave and roll
moulded surround and flat head. The C15 4 light chancel east
window has ogee and panel tracery with brattished half transom
set in moulded surround with steep 4 centred arched head. The
south side has 3 C15 3 light windows with ogee heads and panel
tracery. The nave clerestory has 5 C14 windows as north side.
The C15 south aisle has stepped buttresses with cusped gablettes
and a bell moulded plinth. The west and east windows are of 3
lights with 4 centred arched surround, ogee heads to the lights
and panel tracery. On the south side are 3 three light windows
with ogee heads to the lights, set in moulded surrounds, with
hood moulds and human head stops. The south porch, dated 1901,
has battlemented parapet, pointed outer doorway with angle
shafts, 3 light side windows and benches. The C14 pointed inner
doorway has double concave moulded pointed head with concave
moulded responds and imposts. the hood mould has lion mask
stops. Interior. C15 4 bay north arcade and 5 bay south arcade
with octagonal piers and responds, brattished capitals, double
chamfered arches with hood moulds and human head stops. The
bases are bell moulded and decorated, but 2 north arcade bases
are of c.1200 form. The tall tower arch has matching octagonal
responds and imposts and double chamfered arch. The chancel arch
is also similar with hood mould having lion mask stops. Beside
the arch on the north side, the opening for the rood loft. In
the south aisle an ogee headed piscina. The C15 nave roof has
cambered and moulded tie beams on human head and lion mask
corbels. The north chancel 2 bay arcade matches those of the
nave. In the sanctuary a C14 piscina and 3 seat sedilia with
ogee heads and floriate terminals. The piscina basin is
supported on a short octagonal pier and has a central rosette and
radiating channels. The north aisle and chapel roofs have
moulded principals with bosses and angel figures. Original
stained glass fragments in chancel south window and adjoining one
is by Kempe dated 1901. Fittings. The oak screen has ogee
headed central opening, with a pair of 2 light panels to each
side surmounted by coved and brattished top. The altar rails are
C17 turned balusters with moulded rail and square newels. The
elaborate organ case is dated 1887 by Bentley. The C15 octagonal
font has rosettes and lion masks in quatrefoil panels and is set
on an octagonal pillar decorated with rosettes. All other
fittings are C19, except the reredos of 1911. Monuments. In the
chancel a C14 figure of a priest, partly sunk into a slab, with
ogee headed surround. In the north chapel 2 worn C15 ledger
slabs. In the south aisle a wall monument to Johannes Blyth,
d.1602, in ashlar. The latin raised letter inscription is set in
an egg and dart surround, flanked by Ionic pilasters and free
standing Composite fluted columns, supporting a pediment
containing a pair of naked female figures holding hour glasses
leaning on a skull. The frieze is decorated with medallions.
The reclining figure of the deceased his prayer book in hand lies
on a half rolled up mattress on a tomb chest on which are
portrayed his wife and 6 children, all named in raised letters.
At the end of the chest a full coat of arms. In the north aisle
a marble wall monument to Richard Welby of 1714 by Thomas Green
of Camberwell. The fully wigged standing life sized figure of
the deceased stands in an arched surround flanked by fluted
pilasters with acanthus scrolls and broken segmental pediment
contaning a cherub and putti leaning down from heaven holding a
metal coronet, surmounted by an achievement. Beneath is the
inscription panel and to either side putti holding memento mori,
and mourning, one with tears. Also in the north aisle 3 C18
marble wall plaques to members of the Welby family, and a large
white marble wall plaque containing a long inscription recording
the history of the Williams and Gregory families, by Susannah
Gregory who died in 1755 aged 84. By Thomas Taylor. At the foot
a skull, bats wings, eternal serpent, hour glass.

Listing NGR: SK8654332517

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.