British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of the Holy Trinity, Allington

Description: Church of the Holy Trinity

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 20 September 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 193896

OS Grid Reference: SK8552840262
OS Grid Coordinates: 485528, 340262
Latitude/Longitude: 52.9529, -0.7284

Location: 43 Park Road, Allington, Lincolnshire NG32 2DH

Locality: Allington
Local Authority: South Kesteven District Council
County: Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: NG32 2DH

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Allington, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SK 8440-8540 ALLINGTON MANOR LANE (north side)

11/7 Church of the Holy Trinitv
G.V. II*

Parish Church, c.1150, C13, C15, C16, late C18, c.1914. Coursed ironstone
and limestone rubble, limestone ashlar, red brick with slate, plain tile
and lead roofs. Bell turret, nave with north aisle, south porch, rectangular
chancel with north vestry. Early C13 west front with plinth, flanked by angle
buttresses of 3 stages with central buttress of 5 stages. Moulded string
course runs beneath bell turret of 2 round headed openings beneath a coped
gable. Gables flanking turret have fragmentary C12 corbelling on north and
south returns. C14 north aisle with red brick band of c.1914 running along
the top with C14 coping re-set above. Damaged finial on west corner. Single
early C20 pointed window with 2 cusped lights and continuous mullion. Single
C15 window to east with 2 lights with trefoil heads under flattened triangular
head. Beyond is a C20 window with round head, 2 cusped lights and continuous
mullion. C20 brick chimney, C15 ironstone clerestorey with quoins and 2 C15
rectangular windows each of 2 trefoiled lights and with hood moulds. Limestone
moulded eaves and 2 large gargoyles with coped parapet above. North vestry of
c.1914 re-using C15 fragments, of limestone and ironstone, with moulded eaves
and battlements and east window of 3 cusped and pointed lights. Chancel of
late C18 brick with ashlar quoins and decorated eaves with reset and blocked
early C13 lancet. East end of coursed limestone with window of 1918 of 3 lights
with reticulated tracery and hood mould. Coped gable above with finial.
Southside has coursed limestone plinth with late C18 red brick with various
windows re-set. To the east, a C13 lancet with small head at apex, small C13
pointed, chamfered doorway and C12 round headed window to the west of that.
Nave has higher limestone and ironstone plinth with C18 brick above with C16
oval ashlar window re-set and C13 2 light window with lozenge above, re-set
beyond. Further west is an early C14 re-set window of 3 lights with reticulated
tracery. Moulded eaves with large gargoyle and ashlar parapet above. C15
ironstone porch with limestone bands and moulded plinth. Small, irregular
shaped opening in east wall. Diagonal buttresses of 2 stages. Rectangular
headed south doorway with 4 centred arch beneath, heavy hood mould and plain
moulded jambs. Above, a small long opening with trefoiled head, pronounced
moulded string course following the line of the gable, battlements, with plain
gable rising above. Flanked by ornate pinnacles and central ornate finial
against the gable. Benches flank porch interior and a corbel in east wall.
C12 round headed doorway with simple roll mouldings, single columnar jambs with
scalloped capitals and moulded abaci carved with pairs of tiny heads. Above
porch roof is a gargoyle. Single light C20 rectangular window to the west
of porch with cusping, with a C20 2 light rectangular window below with cusping
and hood mould. Interior mid C12 north arcade of 4 bays with round piers and
columnar responds with plain moulded capitals. Double chamfered round arches
with chipstar decoration and small rosettes in spandrels. Round chancel arch
of c.1914 with plain rectangular jambs. C19 wood ceiling in nave, C20 roof
in chancel. C20 round headed doorway to north vestry. Rectangular doorway
in south wall. C18 altar table. Highly carved C17 chair. C17 pulpit of
2 decorated panels with daisyheads and geometrical patterning. Remnant of
plain C17 wainscotting on south wall by pulpit. Early C20 lectern incorporates
panel from C15 screen with ornate finial and tracery. Early C20 pews. C17
gallery, heavily restored in C20 with geometrical and foliage patterns and
daisyheads. Late C15 octagonal font with panels containing heads, flowers and
a shield on an octagonal support with deeply cut foliage in small panels.
2 fragments near font, one of C12 chevron, the other of C11 plaited cable.
South side of chancel has ornate marble monument to Thomas and Car. Williamson,
1690 with similar one on north side to Thomas Williamson 1688. Southside
has plaque of 1656 to Robert Clarke, and on north side ornate black and white
monument to Lady Welby, died 1826. To west of it an almost illegible grey
marble monument with gold paint and cherub, dated 1669. Above the vestry door
is a large C19 coat of arms of Coade stone. 2 monuments on north side of
nave, to the east of grey and white marble, to Mary Williamson, died 1763, to
to the west of black and white marble to Sir William Earl Welby, died 1815.
Poet George Crabbe was rector here from 1790-1814.

Listing NGR: SK8552840262

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.