If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Thomas a Becket
Date Listed: 20 September 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 193997
OS Grid Reference: SK9796925839
OS Grid Coordinates: 497969, 325839
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8212, -0.5476
Explore more of the area around Burton Coggles, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.
BURTON COGGLES MANOR ROAD
SK 92 NE (east side)
2/22 Church of St Thomas a Becket
(formerly listed as Church of
20.9.66 St Thomas the Martyr)
Parish church. C12, early C13, early C14, C17, 1874 restoration.
Coursed limestone rubble, ashlar quoins and dressings, ashlar,
lead and tiled roof with stone coped gables. Western tower, nave
with clerestory, aisles, chancel, south porch. Early C13 2 stage
unbuttressed tower, with chamfered string curse, C13 corbel table
with human heads, early C13 ashlar broach spire with 2 tiers of
gabled lucarnes in the principal directions, all having annular
shafts and pointed lights, the tower ones with pierced
quatrefoils and dogtooth surrounds. The belfry stage of the
tower has single lancets. West wall has a lancet with above a
trilobed and gabled empty niche. In the west wall of the north
aisle a 2 light C14 window with cusped ogee heads and quatrefoil.
In the north wall a pointed chamfered doorway with beyond a late
C13 Y traceried window. In the east wall a 3 light window
matching that to the west. 3 two light C14 clerestory windows,
cusped ogee heads, moulded pointed surrounds. Above, a plain
moulded parapet. Early C14 chancel with pair of 2 light windows
having curvilinear tracery, mouchettes, pointed chamfered
surrounds. C19 3 light east window with quatrefoil to gable.
The 2 southern chancel windows match those to the north, the more
westerly with a triskele. Beyond a contemporary low side window,
cusped, in rectangular surround. c.1300 south aisle, with
moulded parapet, having easterly 2 light window, and to the south
side a 3 light window, Y tracery but with shallow cusping. To
the west an early C14 2 light window, cusped ogee heads and
quatrefoil. C14 gabled porch, pointed and moulded outer arch,
C19 3 light side window to west, pointed and moulded early C14
inner doorway with C18 panelled door. Interior. 3 bay C14 nave
arcades with octagonal piers and responds, moulded capitals,
double chamfered arches, human head label stops. In the west
wall of the nave a C13 double chamfered arch with octagonal
responds. Above a C12 round headed single splayed window and the
scar of an earlier gable. C14 trefoil headed piscina in the
south aisle. C14 chancel double chamfered arch, octagonal
responds and capitals with to the north, ogee headed upper and
lower doorways to the roof loft. The nave roof is C17 strutted
tie beam. In the south aisle a fine roof with moulded
principals, fluted wall plate, the initials H C dated 1622. In
the chancel C19 double piscina and carved panelled stone reredos.
C19 roof with carved angel corbels. Fittings. c.1874 stained
glass to chancel by Hardman. All fittings C19 except for recut
C14 octagonal font. Monuments. In the south aisle a brass
plaque to Robert Cholmeley d.1590, a rectangular inscription with
moulded alabaster surround, strapwork pendant to the base,
scrolled foliage to the sides surmounted by a cartouche of arms.
Set into the wall around it are 3 miniature brasses, of a knight,
a civilian and a lady and 3 brass shields of arms, c.1620. In
the aisles are 4 C17 and C18 wall plaques, 2 limestone, 2 marble,
one 1717 with a triangular pediment and urn, another 1692 with
scrolled pediments and achievement of arms. In the porch, to
either side on the stone benches are 2 early C14 cross legged
effigies of knights, one with nodding ogee canopy, cusped and
crocketed, with angels above, both with chain mail and surcoats.
Listing NGR: SK9796825848
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.