British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St. Andrew, Horbling

Description: Church of St. Andrew

Grade: I
Date Listed: 30 October 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 194344

OS Grid Reference: TF1188735179
OS Grid Coordinates: 511887, 335179
Latitude/Longitude: 52.9024, -0.3380

Location: Church Lane, Horbling, Lincolnshire NG34 0PE

Locality: Horbling
Local Authority: South Kesteven District Council
County: Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: NG34 0PE

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Horbling, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TF 13 NW (east side)
1/130 Church of
St. Andrew
G.V. I

Parish church. Late C12, mid C13, c.1330, late C15, restored
1852, 1877 and 1879. Coursed limestone and ironstone rubble,
limestone ashlar. Slate roofs with stone coped east gable with
cross finial. Nave with north and south aisles and south porch,
north and south transepts with crossing tower, chancel. West
front of c.1170, remodelled in late C15 and clasped by west
fronts of north and south aisles. West front proper with
fragmentary plinth and rubble walling reaching up to string
course running below east window. Squat central and tall
flanking pilaster buttresses, the latter with angle shafts with
waterleaf and beaded cushion capitals. C15 west window breaks
through C12 blind arcade, the latter with single shaft to left
with moulded base and beaded cushion capital which supports
springing of partially intact round arch; single shaft to right
which supports springing of partially intact round arch; single
shaft to right with plain cushion capital. Large C15 window with
pointed head, 5 cusped, ogee headed lights with 2 transoms, panel
tracery, hood mould and block label stops. Outline of more
steeply pitched C12 gable flanks window head. Moulded string
course and battlements above. West front of C12 north arcade
remodelled in C14 with moulded plinth, string course and 2 stage
gabled buttress to north. Pointed window of 3 crisped ogee headed
lights, 2 cusped mouchettes with quatrefoil, hood mould and block
label stops. Moulded parapet above. C14 north aisle with
moulded plinth and string courses running over regularly placed 2
stage gabled buttresses. Doorway to west with pointed head with
filleted rolls, 2 shafts on each side with moulded capitals, hood
mould, head label stops and plank door. 3 pointed windows to
east partially restored in C19, each with 3 ogee headed, cusped
lights, 2 mouchettes, quatrefoil, hood mould and label stops.
Moulded parapet above. Late C15 clerestory above with 8 closely
set windows with bowtell moulded surrounds, triangular heads, 3
cusped lights, those flanking, with triangular heads, and hood
moulds. Moulded eaves and battlements above. C12 north transept
remodelled in C14 with plinth and moulded string courses running
over 2 stage gabled angle buttresses. Tall C14 pointed north
window with pointed head and 3 cusped, ogee headed lights,
flowing tracery and hood mould. East side of transept with
pointed window with 3 cusped ogee headed lights, 3 mouchettes and
hood mould. C12 chancel with moulded string course running over
3 pilaster buttresses. 2 C12 windows with round heads, and
single flanking nook shafts with scalloped and cushion capitals.
Windows flank single blocked window with west jamb visible and
fragmentary cushion capital. C12 corbel table. East end with
plinth and rubble walling running up to level of moulded string
course. Squat central and tall flanking pilaster buttresses, the
latter with angle shafts with scalloped capitals. 3 lancets of
1852, with continuous hood mould. South side of chancel with
plinth. Moulded string course runs over 3 pilaster buttresses.
2 C19 round headed windows, both with round heads, nook shafts
with scalloped capitals of various designs and double billet hood
mould. C15 blocked doorway below to west with triangular moulded
head and chamfered jambs. C12 south transept remodelled in C14
with moulded plinth and C14 2 stage buttress to east, C12 squat
central pilaster buttress and C12 pilaster buttress to west.
Late C15 pointed window with 3 cusped, pointed lights, panel
tracery, double bowtell moulded surround, hood mould and angel
label stops. Sundial in gable. West side of transept with C19
doorway with triangular head, chamfered surround and panelled
door. C12 ironstone rubble walling above. C12 crossing tower
remodelled in c.1330 with C12 pilaster angle buttresses with
angle shafts with cushion capitals. South east corner with C14 3
stage polygonal stair turret with slit stairlights. North and
south sides with outline of original steeply pitched transept
roof gables. East side with C12 lancet. C14 bell openings on
all 4 sides, each with round, roll moulded head with roll moulded
Y tracery, outer pointed head with single flanking shafts and
with plate quatrefoil between the round and pointed heads, and
hood mould. Moulded eaves with several gargoyles. Battlements
with tall corner pinnacles. C15 south aisle with plinth and
moulded string courses running over regularly placed 3 stage
buttresses. 3 C15 windows with double bowtell moulded surround,
3 pointed, cusped lights, panel tracery and hood mould. Moulded
parapet above. C19 gabled south porch to west with pointed
doorway with semi-circular responds with moulded capitals. Porch
interior with flanking stone benches and late C15 pointed doorway
with bowtell moulded surround, hood mould and panelled doors.
C15 clerestory with 8 closely set windows with bowtell moulded
surrounds, triangular heads, 3 cusped lights, those flanking with
triangular heads, and hood moulds. Moulded eaves and battlements
above. Interior 4 bay north arcade of c.1170 with pointed double
chamfered heads, triangular responds, polygonal piers and
crocketed capitals. 4 bay mid C13 south arcade with pointed
heads with inner chamfered order and outer hollow chamfered
moulded order, semi-circular responds, round pier to west and 2
quatrefoil piers to east, all with plain moulded capitals. North
doorway in north aisle with segmental hood mould and head label
stops. Windows in north aisle with hood moulds and head label
stops. C12 east and west crossing arches with jambs of 3 rolls,
the central rolls larger, all with richly beaded scalloped
capitals. Richly moulded heads repaired and refurbished in C14
re-using C12 triple rolls, but still leaning seriously out of
line. C14 north and south lower crossing archways with triple
chamfered pointed heads with hood mould, and responds of 6
clustered shafts with continuous hollows, each central shaft with
fillet. C12 archway leads from south aisle of nave into south
transept with pointed, double chamfered head dying into
rectangular respond to south and into C14 stair turret inserted
against south-west crossing pier. C14 doorway gives access to
stairs, with triangular head, chamfered surround and ribbed C14
door with 2 wooden shields at top. Blocked, sharply pointed C12
door in south wall of south transept. C14 archway leads from
north aisle of nave to north transept with pointed double
chamfered head and responds with 3 rolls with continuous hollows
and fillets. North transept with C15 tomb recess with richly
moulded triangular head with lunette above with relief of angel
and grotesque bearded figure flanking the risen Christ.
Unrelated C15 tomb chest inserted below with richly cusped panels
containing coats of arms and 2 central, kneeling figures
supporting the arms of Sir Thomas la Laund, (died 1470). Piscina
with ogee head and chamfered surround. Corbel set in east wall
of head with stranded hair and head band. Brass plate above
including black, blue and red decorative detail, to Reverend
Thomas Brown, died 1849, designed by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin
and made by Hardman. 3 marble monuments in north transept; one in
white and black marble with broken pediment with cartouche rising from broken
apex, to Edmund Brown, died 1692; a white marble monument with
segmental pediment, ornate apron and fluted pilasters, to Edward
Brown, died 1751; and a white marble monument with ornate apron
with cartouche with 2 lions rampant, to Elizabeth Brown, died
1737. ornate C16 chair with grotesque masks spewing fruit and
foliage. Ashlar monument with broken pediment to Edward Brown,
died 1699. Chancel with C12 sedilia with round head and roll
moulded continuous surround. C12 piscina to east with round head
and roll moulded surround in one. Faint outline of C12 doorway
in east side of north east respond with upper round head, and
segmental lower head. C12 string course, restored in C19, runs
under east windows with chevron and beaded decoration. C12 north
windows with continuous roll moulded surround. East lancets with
nook shafts with shaft rings, Cl6 pedestal for holy statue with
flower head and ribbon decoration. C19 altar rail. Monuments in
chancel include 2 plain ashlar monuments to Sarah Tomisman, died
1798, and Thomas Tomisman, died 1804; ashlar plaque with
pediment to Thomas Thimbleby, 1727. Small marble plaque to
William Tomisman, died 1817, black and white marble monument with
urn and draperies, to William Tomisman, died 1816. Fragment in
nave of small scalloped capital. C14 octagonal pedestal of font
with traceried panels, each with trefoiled head and with angels
and foliage in spandrels. C15 octagonal font with symbols of the
instruments of the Passion on each face. C15 nave tiebeam roof
with small carved angels and shields. C19 aisle and chancel
roofs. Monuments in nave include one to Harriet Smith, died
1808,of white marble with urn and foliage; and a brass with
cusped ogee head to Benjamin Wilkinson, died 1848, probably by
Pugin and Hardman. Hatchment and royal coat of arms. C19 pews,
lectern, etc. Source: W. D. Wilson. The Work of the Heckington
Lodge of Masons. 1315-1345. Journal of Lincolnshire's History
and Archaeology. Volume 5. 1980. pp.26-27.

Listing NGR: TF1188735179

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.