British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St. Mary and All Saints, Kirkby Underwood

Description: Church of St. Mary and All Saints

Grade: I
Date Listed: 30 October 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 194357

OS Grid Reference: TF0698127045
OS Grid Coordinates: 506981, 327045
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8303, -0.4135

Location: Callan's Lane, Kirkby Underwood, Lincolnshire PE10 0SB

Locality: Kirkby Underwood
Local Authority: South Kesteven District Council
County: Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: PE10 0SB

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Kirkby Underwood, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TF 02 NE
(south side)
6/143 Church of St.Mary
30.10.68 and All Saints
G.V. I

Parish church. Cll, late C12, early C13, mid C14, C15, restored
1893. Coursed limestone rubble, limestone ashlar, some
ironstone rubble. Lead and plain tile roofs with stone coped
gables with cross finials, some decorative ridge tiles. West
tower, nave with blocked north arcade and south aisle with south
porch, chancel. Early C15 unbuttressed west tower with plinth
and moulded string course. C15 pointed west window with
chamfered surround, 2 pointed, cusped lights and early incipient
panel tracery, hood mould runs into string course on each side.
Narrow trefoil headed light above. East side with outline of
original nave gable. C15 bell openings on all 4 sides, each with
a pointed head, chamfered surround, 2 pointed cusped lights with
cusped opening above and hood mould. Moulded eaves above with
single central gargoyles on each side; battlements and ornate
corner pinnacles. North side of nave rebuilt in C19 with 2 stage
buttresses alternating with 3 windows with flattened triangular
heads each with 2 cusped, pointed lights, cusped oculus, hood
mould and label stops. Doorway beneath central window with
flattened triangular head, continuous chamfered surround and
panelled door. Cll fragment of interlace used as quoin on north-
west corner. Early C15 clerestory above with 3 windows with
flattened triangular heads, each with 2 cusped, pointed lights
with a cusped opening above. North side of chancel with moulded
string course and a C19 pointed window with 2 pointed cusped
lights, cusped oculus, hood mould and label stops. East end
flanked by 2 stage diagonal buttresses. Moulded string course
runs under a C19 pointed window with 3 pointed cusped lights and
3 cusped oculi, hood mould and label stops. Section of Anglo
Saxon interlace carving embedded to left of window. South side
of chancel with moulded string course and pointed C19 window with
2 trefoil headed lights, quatrefoil, hood mould and label stops.
East end of the south aisle with fragmentary plinth and late C15
window with flattened triangular head, continuous moulded
surround and 2 pointed cusped lights. South side of aisle with
moulded plinth and early C14 window to east with 3 plate, ogee
headed narrow lights. Numerous fragments of Cll sculpture, mostly
of stylised flower heads embedded in south wall of aisle and
chancel. C15 gabled porch to west with triangular headed south
doorway and continuous chamfered surround. Porch interior with
early C13 south doorway with pointed head, continuous chamfered
surround and plank door. Niche above with cusped, ogee shaped
head. C15 window to the west of porch with 2 pointed lights.
C15 clerestory above with 3 windows with flattened triangular
heads, 2 cusped, round headed lights and cusped opening above.
Late C12 interior tower arch with double chamfered, pointed head
dying into rectangular jambs. North arcade blocked but 3 bay
early C13 arcade exposed with pointed double chamfered heads,
semi-circular responds, quatrefoil piers with moulded capitals
and western-most pier with fillets. Mid C13 south arcade of 3
bays with pointed, double chamfered heads with hood moulds and
head in spandrel to west. Triple rolled responds with continuous
hollows, central fillet and moulded capitals. Quatrefoil pier to
east with moulded capital and fillets. Pier to west re-modelled
in mid C14 with quatrefoil plan with small slender rolls inserted
in cusps and rich foliate capitals in continuous band.
Rectangular opening to east high in arcade wall originally giving
access to rood loft, no longer extant. C19 chancel arch with
pointed, double chamfered head, the inner order supported on
corbels, hood mould and label stops. South wall of chancel with
2 C19 trefoil headed sedilia with continuous moulded surround.
Pointed C19 piscina in north wall with continuous chamfered
surround. Choir stalls and reading desk incorporate large
finialled C16 bench ends. C17 polygonal pulpit with field
panelling and upper looped frieze. C19 pews, altar rail and
brass lectern. Fragment of sculpted stone of c.1300 with leaf
trails and human head. Early C13 font heavily restored in C19
with round plinth and pedestal and plain octagonal bowl. Tower
interior with faded hatchment, small Lord's Prayer board, and
various C18 and C19 plaques commemorating charitable bequests.
Tie beams of nave roof inscribed with date 1817.

Listing NGR: TF0698127045

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.