British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of All Saints, Great Sturton

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 14 September 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 195387

OS Grid Reference: TF2152976660
OS Grid Coordinates: 521529, 376660
Latitude/Longitude: 53.2730, -0.1790

Location: Buttergate Hill, Great Sturton, Lincolnshire LN9 5NX

Locality: Great Sturton
Local Authority: East Lindsey District Council
County: Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: LN9 5NX

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Great Sturton, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TF 27 NW
(east side)
6/12 Church of
All Saints
G.V. II*

Parish church. Cll, C13, C14, C16, C18, restored 1904 by T. J.
Micklethwaite. Greenstone rubble blocks, limestone ashlar
dressings, some red brick, some render. Slate and lead roofs
with square wooden C20 bell turret with slatted openings to north
and south, lead finial with weathervane. Stone coped eastern
gables with cross finials. Nave with west bell turret and south
porch, chancel. West front with plinth and flanking 2 stage
angle buttresses. Small central early C13 doorway with pointed
head, chamfered surround and blocked with red brick. Large
pointed mid C14 window above, very heavily restored in 1904, with
3 round headed, cusped lights and 3 cusped mouchettes. Moulded
string course above. North side of nave with fragmentary plinth
and red brick eaves. Outline of 3 C13 north arcade bays with
pointed heads and fragments of abaci of eastern respond and
western-most pier. Doorway in central bay with wooden lintel,
blocked with C18 brick. C18 brick patching to right. Round
headed late C18 window to left with red brick surround, 2 round
headed cusped lights and mouchette. C18 red brick pilaster to
left with another C18 round headed window beyond with red brick
surround, 2 round headed cusped lights and mouchette. Red brick
patching above. North side of chancel with plinth and red brick
eaves. Small mid C13 pointed window with chamfered surround and
cusped inner light. Large pointed C14 window to east heavily
restored in early C20, with 3 cusped lights, that in centre with
ogee head, flanked by tall pointed lights; 4 mouchettes above
and filleted hood mould. Chancel truncated in early C20 with
thickly rendered east end with diagonal 2 stage buttresses and
pointed window of 3 cusped lights, that in the centre, taller,
and hood mould. South side of chancel with C20 brick plinth,
upper band of C18 brick with C20 dentillated eaves above.
pointed C13 doorway to east with chamfered surround in one,
blocked with red brick. C16 rectangular window to west with 3
lights and chamfered mullions, red brick relieving arch above
blocked in with C20 brick. Large C20 2 stage buttress to west.
C14 gargoyle re-set above of figure with wimple and hands on
knees. South side of nave with late C18 window with round head,
red brick surround, 3 cusped round headed lights and 2
mouchettes. C20 red brick gabled porch to west with plain
doorway with segmental head. Porch interior with flanking brick
benches and late Cll doorway with round voussoired head hidden by
porch gable, very large lintel and rectangular jambs. C16 plank
door. Early C14 window to west of porch with pointed head, 2
round headed, cusped lights, mouchette and hood mould. Interior
arch of C16 timber probably re-set from aisled hall. Inner sides
of arcade posts and soffit of jointed braces with triple roll
mouldings. Extra straight bracing between angle formed by tie
beam and posts and curved braces. Re-used C16 timbers without
moulded decoration in north-west and south-west corners, probably
outer timbers of original aisled hall. Flat panelled ceiling
masks upper section of timbers. Early C17 wall painting on north
wall of Time and Death. Mid C13, three bay north arcade
partially exposed. Second pier to east with mid C13 capital of 4
attached shafts alternating with re-entrant curves. Round
probably earlier pier below (or possible later encasing of C13
pier). Part of double chamfered pointed arch exposed to west,
whole of double chamfered pointed bay to east with red and white
fleur de lys painted decoration. In rubble above window in head
of arch large piece of cusped tracery embedded. Keeled eastern
respond with plain keeled capital. Mid C13 chancel arch with
keeled and filleted responds, keeled moulded capitals damaged by
rood screen no longer extant, and double chamfered pointed arch.
North wall of chancel with part of richly cusped tomb recess and
arch truncated when chancel shortened in early C20. C13 south
chancel doorway with segmental head. Early C20 piscina to east.
C20 ashlar reredos with Commandment, Lords Prayer and Creed
Boards set above. Panelled ceiling in nave. C18 tie-beam roof
in chancel. C14 octagonal font heavily restored in early C20
with flowing cusped decoration and tall octagonal base with
cusped ogee heads. Coat of arms of 1808. Early C20 pews,
lecturn and pulpit.

Listing NGR: TF2152976660

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.