If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Peter
Date Listed: 9 March 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 195516
OS Grid Reference: TF4159093800
OS Grid Coordinates: 541590, 393800
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4220, 0.1293
There is also a scheduled monument, Cross in St Peter's Churchyard, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around South Somercotes, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.
SOUTH SOMERCOTES LOUTH ROAD
TF 49 SW (south side)
Church of St Peter
5/73 (formerly listed as Church
9.3.67 of St Mary)
Parish church. c.1200, C14, C15, C16, restored 1866, 1896.
Limestone, greenstone and ironstone coursed rubble, limestone
ashlar, some red brick. Slate and lead roofs, the former with
decorative red ridge tiles. West tower with spire, nave with
north and south aisles, and south porch, chancel. Mid C14 west
tower with moulded plinth and string course, and 3 stage diagonal
buttresses. C15 west doorway inserted into lower sections of C14
window above, with gently pointed head, rectangular hood mould
with angel busts in spandrels, head label stops and plank door.
C14 pointed window above with 3 lights containing Y tracery
design with central cusped ogee head, hood mould and head label
stops. Bell stage with some early red brick patching with bell
openings on all 4 sides, each a pointed opening, with 2 cusped
ogee headed lights and reticulated tracery. Moulded eaves and
coped parapet above. Recessed octagonal spine with 4 lower pairs
of ogee headed lucarnes including ogee headed doorway to east. 2
tiers of single light lucarnes above. Plinth and moulded string
course runs round north aisle. North side with C15 window to
west with triangular head, 2 pointed, cusped lights, panel
tracery and hood mould. Doorway to east with pointed head,
moulded surround in one, and plank door with intersecting
tracery. 2 C15 windows to east, both with triangular heads and 3
cusped pointed lights, panel tracery, and hood mould. Chancel
with C15 round headed window, 3 cusped lights and hood mould.
Moulded string course stops below this window to east, with
higher C13 string course resuming in higher position. Below to
east a blocked C13 doorway with segmental head. Coped parapet
above. East end flanked by 2 stage buttresses with C15 round
headed window with 3 cusped lights and hood mould. South side of
chancel with pointed early C13 doorway to east, blocked at early
date with semi-circular window with cavetto moulded mullion
inserted. Blocked C15 doorway to west with four centred head and
window above, restored in C19, with round head and 3 cusped
lights, that in centre with ogee shaped head. String course to
west runs under C15 round headed window with 3 cusped lights and
hood mould. South aisle with plinth and moulded string course
and with 2 C15 windows, both with triangular heads, 3 pointed
cusped lights, panel tracery and hood mould. Gabled C16 south
porch to west with red brick alternating with bands of
greenstone. Pointed south doorway with double chamfered head and
jambs in one. Pointed C15 interior doorway with moulded head and
jambs in one and plank door with intersecting tracery. West end
of aisle with C15 window with triangular head, 2 pointed, cusped
lights, panel tracery and hood mould. Tall C14 interior tower
arch with pointed double chamfered head supported on corbel
heads. Tall C19 wooden railing runs across with pointed, cusped
tracery. 5 bay early C13 north and south arcades with round
piers with octagonal abaci, keeled responds, double chamfered,
pointed heads with human heads (some C19) in spandrels. Early
C13 chancel arch with keeled responds and double chamfered,
pointed head. C14 screen restored in C19, including 5 upper late
C14 openwork traceried panels with ogee cusped heads with
rosettes and panel tracery. Lower blind traceried panels C19.
Early C13 blocked south doorway in chancel with steeply pointed
head and chamfered surround in one. Small aumbry to east with
cusped head and outline of crocketed and finialled gable above.
Early C18 altar rail with slender turned supports with square
knops and moulded handrail with 4 round ball finials and central
gates. C19 and C20 roofs. C20 chairs. C19 choir stalls. Pink
marble monument of 1906 to T.B. Freshney. Several fragments on
south west window ledge of nave including boss carved with Tudor
rose, fragment of door jamb and several fragments with lettering
and fleur-de-lys. C15 octagonal font with symbols of the
instruments of the Passion on east face, 8 human heads below,
moulded band with flower head above, pedestal with moulded ribs
and square plinth.
Listing NGR: TF4158993810
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.