If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Margaret
Date Listed: 3 February 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 195589
OS Grid Reference: TF5115276421
OS Grid Coordinates: 551152, 376421
Latitude/Longitude: 53.2633, 0.2648
Explore more of the area around Huttoft, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.
HUTTOFT CHURCH LANE
TF 57 NW
4/66 Church of
3-2-67 St. Margaret
Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C18 and restorations of 1869, 1882
and 1910. Squared greenstone and coursed limestone rubble,
ashlar, brick patching, slate roofs. Western tower, nave with
clerestory, aisles, chancel, south porch. The C13 4 stage tower
in greenstone and limestone rubble has 2 string courses and
battlemented parapet. It was raised in C14. To the belfry
stage are 2 light louvred openings to each face with C14
reticulated tracery and hood moulds. To the third stage on all
sides are tall C13 pointed 2 light windows with moulded
surrounds, dogtooth moulding to the wide central mullion, pointed
heads to the lights and vesica. The eastern opening is blocked.
On the west face is a tall lancet and the angle buttresses have
carved figures on the lower stages. The north aisle is C19 with
a pointed 2 light window in the west end. On the north side are
4 two light windows having cusped panel tracery, 2 of which are
reused, one having a triangular head, the others with flat heads,
and also a pointed and roll moulded late C19 doorway with above a
circular window containing 4 mouchettes. The ashlar nave
clerestory is of 4 single and a pair of small lancets and may be
C19. The gabled vestry is contemporary and has a 2 light
window, shouldered door, and a larger 2 light window to the east.
The C18 brick chancel was raised in the C19 and has a 3 light
east window of that date. In the south wall is a similar window
of 2 lights. The C15 south aisle has stepped buttresses and
gargoyles and is lit by large 3 light windows under 4 centred
arches under hood moulds enriched with fleurons and human head
stops, one each to the east and the west, plus 4 to the south.
Clerestory matches the north side. The gabled C15 south porch
has single side lights with ogee tracery, a continuously moulded
outer doorway with sprays of foliage on the concave chamfered
arch and hood mould with human head stops. The matching inner
doorway contains an original wooden door with ogee headed wicket.
Interior. C13 continuously moulded double chamfered tower arch
with filleted responds. Above is an earlier nave roof pitch.
The C14 5 bay nave arcades have octagonal piers and double
chamfered arches. The composite chancel arch has C14 octagonal
reveals with naturalistic carved capitals now supporting an early
C13 double chamfered arch with circular imposts, possibly a C18
contrivance. The nave and chancel roofs are of 1882 with painted
panels. In the chancel is a C19 door to the vestry. In the
south chapel are 3 reset C14 human head corbels. The fittings,
including the screen and rood, are early C20, and the 3 brass
chandeliers are dated 1834. The C15 octagonal font is extremely
fine with figures in ogee niches on the stem, the base has at the
angle large winged figures, and on the bowl are finely carved
figures, with standing out hair in East Anglian fashion. The
underside of the bowl is supported by angel corbels. The tall
wooden font cover is C19. There are 2 good chests, one is C14
with 5 panels of geometric tracery under crocketed gables, the
other is C16 with arabesque decoration. Also a large C18
coffer. In the north aisle an early barrel organ. Monuments. 2
incised floor slabs to Bartholomew Note, d.1473 and Maud Note.
Listing NGR: TF5115276420
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.