If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 14 September 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 195924
OS Grid Reference: TF3339774804
OS Grid Coordinates: 533397, 374804
Latitude/Longitude: 53.2535, -0.0019
There is also a scheduled monument, Churchyard Cross, St Mary's Churchyard, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around Tetford, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.
TETFORD CHURCH LANE
TF 37 SW (south side)
14.9.66 Church of St.Mary
Parish church. Early C12, C14, late C15, heavily restored in
1826 and later C19. Green sandstone rubble with limestone ashlar
dressings. Slate roofs with stone coped gables and cross
finials. West tower, nave with north and south aisles,
clerestorey and south porch, and chancel. 3 stage west tower of
c.1500 with 6 stage angle buttresses, moulded plinth and string
course. Pointed west doorway with double bowtell continuous
surround, hood mould and plank door. Moulded string course above
with pointed window above that, with bowtell moulded surround, 3
pointed cusped lights, perpendicular tracery and hood mould that
runs into a string course on either side. Clock and moulded
string course above. Bell openings on all 4 sides each with a
pointed head, bowtell moulded surround, 2 cusped, ogee headed
lights and hood mould. Moulded eaves with large corner
gargoyles. Decorative open-work parapet with corner pinnacles.
North aisle rebuilt 1826 with pointed west doorway with ashlar
surround and panelled door. North side with 3 pointed windows
with Y tracery. Clerestorey of c.1500 restored in C19 with 3
windows with flattened triangular heads with 3 almost round
headed, cusped lights and bowtell moulded surrounds. North side
of chancel with part of the outline of a C12 archway which
originally lead to the chantry chapel of St. Bartholomew, with
semi-circular head and single impost. Blocked rectangular C14
window set inside with hood mould. 2 stage buttress to left.
East end of chancel with pointed C19 window with 3 cusped, ogee
headed and pointed lights, 3 oculi and hood mould. 4 C18
gravestones beneath. South side of chancel with single C19
window with pointed head, 2 cusped ogee headed lights and cusped
mouchette. South aisle of nave with early C14 window restored in
C19, with pointed head, 2 cusped, ogee headed lights with
quatrefoil. South side with window of c.1500 with flattened
triangular head, 3 cusped ogee headed lights and perpendicular
tracery. Gabled C15 porch to west, heavily restored in C19 with
pointed south doorway with continuous chamfered surround.
Sundial above. Porch interior with flanking stone benches.
Internal pointed doorway of c.1500 with continuously moulded
surround, hood mould and C16 plank door restored in C19. Stoup
in north-east corner. C15 rectangular window to west of porch
with 2 cusped ogee headed lights, set in triangular headed
opening. West end of south aisle with pointed window with inner
C14 window with crocketed and finialled head and large label
stops. Clerestorey of c.1500 restored in C19 with 3 windows each
with flattened triangular head with 3 almost round headed, cusped
lights and bowtell moulded surround. Interior C14 tower arch
with pointed, double chamfered head dying into the wall. C20
screen below. Nave roof line above predating addition of
clerestorey. Mid C14 north and south 3 bay tall arcades restored
in C19 with double chamfered pointed heads, the inner order of
limestone, the outer of green sandstone; octagonal piers, C12
semi-circular moulded bases, C14 octagonal capitals and responds.
Unusual fluted indentations in west spandrel of north aisle. Mid
C14 chancel arch heavily restored in C19, with pointed, double
chamfered head, the inner order of limestone, running
continuously into the responds. C19 panelled ceiling over nave
and tie beam roof over chancel. C19 pews, pulpit, chairs,
lectern and vestry screen. Altar rail of c.1730 with turned
balusters with square knops and broad rail. Plaque in north
aisle inscribed with restoration date of 1826. C14 octagonal
font with foliate motifs on lower side and with C20 pedestal of 8
shafts. Memorials include: one to Edward Dymoke, died 1739, of
black marble with seprentine head and coat of armour above. 3
memorials in black marble to Elizabeth Scaman, died 1839, Thomas
Dymoke, died 1837 and the Rev. John Dymoke, died 1821, all with
serpentine heads and aprons; a black and white monument with
sepulchre and urns, to Rev. John Emeris, died 1819; a black
marble monument to Elizabeth Probart, died 1830 and a grey and
white marble monument to Charles Thorpe, died 1845.
Listing NGR: TF3339774804
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.