British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of Saint Peter, Great Limber

Description: Church of Saint Peter

Grade: I
Date Listed: 1 November 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 196655

OS Grid Reference: TA1350108628
OS Grid Coordinates: 513501, 408628
Latitude/Longitude: 53.5620, -0.2878

Location: 11 Church Lane, Great Limber, Lincolnshire DN37 8JN

Locality: Great Limber
Local Authority: West Lindsey District Council
County: Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: DN37 8JN

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Great Limber, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text


5/108 Church of St.Peter
G.V. I

Parish Church, C12, C13, C14, C16 and various C19 alterations and
additions, including a restoration of 1875. Coursed ironstone
and limestone rubble, limestone ashlar dressings, some yellow
brick repair and patching, slate roofs. Western tower, nave,
chancel, south and north aisles, south porch, vestry. Plain
tower with C14 plinth and battlemented parapet. Stepped corner
buttresses. All faces have early C15 2 light belfry openings in
ashlar with ogee tracery. South face has a C14 door with a
triple chamfered arch and hood mould. Over the door is a C14
niche with an ogee head and hood mould. Beneath the belfry
light is a narrow triangular opening. On the north side is a
clock with an open face. In the east side of the tower an
earlier nave pitch in white limestone rubble can be seen. The
north aisle is of square ironstone with a triple moulded plinth,
the top moulding being at window sill level, slightly splayed
cornice, stone coped gables. West window is a C15 3 light with
cusped heads and panel tracery under a semi circular head and
hood mould. The C14 north door, blocked in brick, is a small
pointed opening with a hood mould, flanked by to the west a 3
light C16 window with panel decoration and hood mould and to the
east 3 similar windows, with some C19 mullion replacement. The
C16 east aisle window has 3 lights with a pointed head. The
north nave wall is in yellow brick and blank, with stone coped
gables and a cross fleury at the ridge. The chancel has been
partly rebuilt in the C19 and has a plinth and a deep roll
moulding at sill level with a C19 2 light north window. The
vestry is a C19 addition and has a similar roll mouding, west
door, north and east windows. The east end of the chancel has
stepped corner buttresses, a splayed plinth and C19 roll
mouldings. The east windows are C19 lancets. The south wall of
the chancel is completely C19 in limestone ashlar with a single
lancet and a 2 light window. The south aisle has a plinth
matching that on the north aisle. It has been raised, partly in
brick at the ends, and has a corbelled out parapet with
saddleback coping. The east window is a 3 light C14 window with
curvilinear tracery largely recut in the C19, and a hood mould.
The south wall has 3 three light C16 windows with hood moulds.
That on the east has brick patching to its reveal, the
westernmost one is a C20 restoration. Beyond the porch is a
further similar window and the west window is a similar 3 light
window. The nave is as the north side. The south porch has a
reconstructed Cl2 opening with a single chamfer. There are side
benches and single lights to both sides. The south doorway is
late C13, moulded and pointed. Interior has 4 bay C14 matching
arcades, with octagonal piers and double chamfered arches. The
south aisle has no eastern respond, the arch terminates over an
ogee headed doorway to the rood loft stairs. The south aisle
has a cusped ogee headed piscina, 2 statue brackets and an
opening at a high level in the rood loft. North aisle has an
ogee headed aumbry, a cusped headed piscina and a statue bracket.
The nave roof is dated "1847 GF". The tower doorway is C14 and
single chamfered. The chancel arch has C13 semi circular
responds and a double chamfered C14 arch. The details of the
chancel are C19 in the Early English style with aumbry, recesses
and vestry door. It has a Minton tile floor. All fittings
including the rood screen are C19. The stained glass in the
chancel is 1858 and 1862. There are some fragments of Medieval
glass in the nave. The font is a C14 octagonal bowl resting on
an octagonal base with dogtooth decoration on an inverted round
column with 8 attached shafts with fine late C12 stiff leaf
capitals. At the west end of the nave is a group of early leaf
marble wall tablets. At the west end of the south aisle is a
black marble tablet, to the Rev. T. Walkden, he south aisle is a

Listing NGR: TA1350108629

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.