Description: Church of St Cuthbert
Date Listed: 30 November 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 196697
OS Grid Reference: SK9473880800
OS Grid Coordinates: 494738, 380800
Latitude/Longitude: 53.3157, -0.5794
There is also a scheduled monument, Cross in St Cuthbert's Churchyard, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
SK 98 SW BRATTLEBY THORPE LANE
6/6 Church of
Parish church. Late Cll, cl175, C14, restored and partly rebuilt
in 1858 by James Fowler. Coursed ironstone and limestone
rubble, limestone ashlar. Plain tiled roofs with decorative
ridge tiles and stone coped gables. Lead covered spire. West
tower with squat pyramidal spire, nave with north aisle,
rectangular chancel with north chapel. Late Cll west tower
refurbished in C14 and restored in Cl9. High plinth and quoins.
West doorway, refurbished in C14 with pointed chamfered head,
partially chamfered jambs, hood mould, head label stops and plank
door. Small slit window and string course above. Bell openings
on all 4 sides heavily restored in C19, each with paired cusped,
pointed openings divided by shaft with round moulded capital,
trefoil above, hood moulds and head label stops. Ornate C19
corbel table, corner battlements and squat with weather vane.
Nave and north aisle, and chancel exterior walls rebuilt in 1858.
Main vessel of nave visible in corner between west tower and
north aisle. North aisle with plinth and single cusped west
lancet with relieving arch. Single stage angle buttresses.
Plinth runs round north side of aisle with 3 windows above. 2
pairs of cusped lights to west with single cusped light to east.
Single stage angle buttress, and cusped east lancet. Plain
chancel north wall with plinth. stage angle buttresses with
shaped upper stages. Plinth runs round east end with string
course that rises to run under east window of 3 lancets with
hoodmould and label stops. 2 stage angle buttresses with shaped
upper stages. Plinth runs round south side of chancel. 2
windows divided by 2 stage buttress with shaped upper stage.
East window of 2 cusped lights with oculus, pointed hood mould
and label stops. South side of nave with 2 pairs of pointed
cusped lancets divided by 2 stage buttress, with single 2 stage
buttress to west. Interior Cll tower arch with small round head
head and heavy chamfered imposts. Plaque above arch
commemorates rebuilding and restoration of the church in 1859. 2
large late C12 north arcade bays with barely pointed double
chamfered arches with broaches where they spring from abaci, hood
moulds, keeled responds, circular pier and bold stiff leaf
capitals. C19 chancel arch with filleted, moulded head with
hood mould nd ornate label stops, supported on responds of 3
clustered shafts with ornate foliated capitals. C14 north-east
chapel arch with pointed arch of 2 orders dying into the
imposts. C19 timber roofs over nave and chancel. C14 piscina
in north chancel wall with ornate cusped hood mould with heads
and finial. Cl9 east window flanked by nook shafts with hood
mould and ornate label stops. C19 pews, pulpit, drum font. Altar
with pink, green and blue marble reredos of 1869, with flanking,
kneeling angels above. 2 C19 monuments.
Listing NGR: SK9473880800
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.