British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of All Saints, Holton cum Beckering

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: I
Date Listed: 30 November 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 197134

OS Grid Reference: TF1163081285
OS Grid Coordinates: 511630, 381285
Latitude/Longitude: 53.3167, -0.3258

Location: Market Rasen Road, Holton cum Beckering, Lincolnshire LN8 5NP

Locality: Holton cum Beckering
Local Authority: West Lindsey District Council
County: Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: LN8 5NP

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text


5/8 Church of
30.11.66 All Saints


Parish church. C13, C14, C15, with chancel rebuilding of 1851 by
Nicholson and 1859-60 and 1870-4 restoration by Sir G. G. Scott.
Coursed and squared limestone rubble with stone coped slate and
lead roofs and crosses fleury to gables. Western tower, nave.
chancel, aisles, south porch, and north chapel. Early C13 tower
of 2 stages, is in coursed limestone rubble with C19 moulded
plinth, plain chamfered string course and plain parapet with
later gargoyles. The west window is a C13 double chamfered
lancet and to the belfry stage are C14 paired ogee headed lights
in 4 principal directions. In the north aisle-west wall is a
reset panel of C14 cusped tracery in a squared surround. The
aisle is of squared limestone rubble with a lead roof, and has a
moulded sill band. On the north side is a recut 3 light window
with intersecting tracery and further east is a C19 3 light
window in perpendicular style. The eastern 2 bays are separated
from the rest by a gabled buttress and have a separate slate roof
with raised coped gables. There are 2 paired light recut ogee
headed windows in this north chapel north wall and in the east
wall is a 3 light window with intersecting tracery and C19
details. The chancel north wall has a 2 light C14 window with
cusped ogee heads to the lights and panels over. The east window
is C19 of 3 lights with reticulated tracery. In the chancel
south wall are a doorway and 2 two light windows, all C19. The
south aisle is C15 with plinth, moulded cill band and lead roof.
It is lit by 3 three light windows with cambered hood moulds with
hood human head label stops, cusped ogee heads to the lights and
cusped panels over. At either end are shield shaped plaques
bearing coats of arms. In the west wall is a C14 2 light window.
The C15 gabled south porch has moulded and stepped corner
buttresses and a castellated parapet. Above the outer door is a
trefoil headed niche with a C19 cross to the gable. The outer
arch is richly moulded with one concave order and a hood mould.
In the side walls is a trefoil headed niche with a C19 cross to
the gable. The porch has side benches. The inner doorway is
largely recut, but has one order of wave moulding separated by a
quirk from the outer concave order containing fleurons. The hood
which is similarly decorated has human head label stops and a
crocketed ogee finial. Interior. The late C13 3 bay arcades
have double chamfered arches with octagonal piers and moulded
capitals. On the voussoirs are extensive traces of red painted
foliage. The squat C13 tower arch has 3 chamfered orders. The
chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders springs from engaged octagonal
responds. On the east side are traces, to both south and north,
of lower capitals, that to the north presumably opening into the
chapel. At the east end of the north aisle is a double chamfered
pointed arch resting on moulded imposts, that to the north is a
human head. The Cl9 chancel has 3 polished limestone steps to
the altar, fine tiled floors and a handsome marble and mosaic
reredos. The arch braced roof rests on stone corbels and has a
scheme of painted decoration of flowers and dog tooth. On the
side walls are oil painted panels of angel musicians. In the
north wall is a C19 double chamfered arch with angle shafts and
angel labels, it leads to the north chapel. In the south wall is
an ogee headed piscina, balanced by a similar opening to the
north, parts of which may be reused. In the north wall of the
chapel is a C14 tomb recess with moulded triangular canopy
having Southwell type leafy capitals which appear to be C19. The
C13 octagonal font is on a facetted stem with square base. There
is a fine oak C19 carved chancel screen, and C19 pews, stalls
and pulpit, also a low lattice screen between chancel and north
chapel. In the chancel is a brass candelabrum in medieval style
with pierced foliate decoration. On the north aisle wall are 2
early C19 Neo Classical wall tablets in white marble with
antefixae and an urn, to members of the Caldecot family of Holton
Hall. All windows have C19 stained glass and
on the nave east wall are painted tin texts.

Listing NGR: TF1162881283

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.