If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Lawrence
Date Listed: 30 November 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 197175
OS Grid Reference: TF1193969367
OS Grid Coordinates: 511939, 369367
Latitude/Longitude: 53.2096, -0.3253
Explore more of the area around Bardney, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.
BARDNEY CHURCH LANE
Tf 16 NW
6/8 Church of
Parish church. c.1434-end C15, late C17, restored 1873-9.
Coursed limestone rubble, limestone ashlar, red brick. Plain
tiled roofs with stone coped gables and C19 cross finials. Some
pantiles. West tower, nave with north and south aisles with
north porch, rectangular chancel. Late C15 west tower with
plinth, 2 richly moulded lower string courses and 3 stage
diagonal buttresses. West doorway with pointed, moulded head,
partly restored in C19, broad chamfered jambs, hood mould running
into upper string course and plank doors. Large pointed window
above with incipient bowtell moulded surround, 3 cusped lights
with vertical tracery above. South side with slit stair turret
lights and clock. Bell openings on all 4 sides, each with
pointed head, 2 pointed, cusped lights, vertical tracery, hood
mould and head label stops. Angular shaft rises between the 2
lights of each bell opening, rising to base of central pinnacle.
Moulded eaves with large projecting corner gargoyles.
Battlements above and 8 ornate pinnacles. Mid-late C15 north
aisle with plinth, moulded string course and regularly placed 2
stage buttresses. West window with four centred head, 3 pointed,
cusped lights, incipient bowtell moulded surround and hood mould.
North side with C17 porch to west with coped gabled pantile roof
with kneelers, doorway with shallow pointed head and raised
keystone. Porch interior flanked by benches. C15 inner doorway
with four centred moulded head, moulded jambs, plank door and
hood mould. 3 windows to east, all with four centred heads, 3
pointed, cusped lights, incipient bowtell moulded surrounds and
hood moulds. East end of north aisle with similar window.
Moulded eaves above. Brick chancel of c.1434. Small pointed
window to west with rectangular moulded brick surround and brick
hood mould. Large ashlar dressed window to east with four
centred head, 3 round headed lights and hood mould. Pointed
doorway to east with rectangular brick moulded surround, brick
hood mould and plank door. 2 stage buttress to east with ashlar
set-offs and ashlar string course continuing to east. Brick
moulded eaves above. East end with diagonal 2 stage buttresses
with ashlar set-offs. Ashlar string course. Large ashlar
dressed window with four centred head, 5 narrow lights with
triangular heads, vertical tracery with some crenellated
detailing and hood mould. Brick diamond panel containing
quatrefoil in apex of moulded-brick gable. Ashlar string course
continues round south side of chancel. South side with ashlar
dressed window with four centred head, 3 round headed lights and
hood mould. Ashlar dressed 2 stage buttress to west with small
ashler dressed window beyond with shallow pointed head containing 2 pointed lights
with central mullions above and hoodmould. Mid-late C15 south aisle with moulded
plinth and string course. East window with four centred head, 3 pointed, cusped
lights, incipient bowtell moulded surround and hood mould. 3 similar windows
on south side with doorway to west flanked by remnants of earlier porch. Doorway
with centred head, moulded surround in one, hood mould and plank door. Window
beyond with four centred head, 3 pointed cusped lights, incipient bowtell moulded
surround and hood mould. Similar window in west front of aisle. Moulded ashler
eaves. Tall, pointed, double chamfered late C15 interior tower arch, the inner
order supported on polygonal responds with moulded polygonal capitals and broached
plinths. Tall, 5 bay late C15 north and south arcades with double chamfered,
pointed heads, octagonal piers, moulded octagonal capitals and tall broached plinths.
Tall late C15 chancel arch with pointed double chamfered head, polygonal responds,
moulded polygonal capitals and broached plinths. Chancel with murals of 1935.
C19 tie beam roofs, with some crenellated decoration and rosettes, re-using
C15 timbers. Ornate C19 reredos with Virgin and Child flanked by saints, all
under canopies. C15 pointed piscina in south wall of chancel with double rolled
head and small basin. C14 standing figure with C20 head, originally from Bardney
Abbey. Large incised slab to Abbot Richard Horncastle, died 1508, with shield
and inscription, with canopy above with crocketed pinnacles. 3 C17 and early C18
painted wooden panels recording charitable gifts of John and Joseph Knowles,
William Hurltcroft, Thomas Kitching, John Burrington, William Norman and John
Lightfoot, amongst others, including several portraits of donors. C20 font with
quatrefoiled panels. C19 polygonal pulpit. C19 lecturn. C20 choir stalls.
Several architectural fragments from Bardney Abbey, including 2 sections of C13
rib vault with 3 rolls re-used as piscinas in C20. Fragment of C13 crossing of
moulded rib vault.
Listing NGR: TF1193669366
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.