British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Mary, Long Sutton

Description: Church of St Mary

Grade: I
Date Listed: 30 June 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 197885

OS Grid Reference: TF4322822874
OS Grid Coordinates: 543228, 322874
Latitude/Longitude: 52.7844, 0.1223

Location: Market Place, Long Sutton, Lincolnshire PE12 9JD

Locality: Long Sutton
Local Authority: South Holland District Council
County: Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: PE12 9JD

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Long Sutton, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TF 4222-4322
(east side)
12/39 Church of St. Mary
G.V. I

Parish church. Late C12, early C13, partly rebuilt C14, C15,
C18, early and late C19 and C20 restorations. Ashlar, some
coursed rubble. Lead roofs, the north porch with plain tiles.
Embattled nave with single ridge corsses and single corner
crocketed pinnacles to east and west ends. South porch also
embattled. Chancel with north and south parapets. Remainder with
coped gables. Single stack to rear of south porch. South west
tower, nave, aisles, north and south porches, vestry and chancel.
Early C13 south west tower detached from the main body of the
church until the aisles were widened, topped with early C13
herringbone lead covered timber spire. Tower of 3 stages with
bands and set on a plinth which is chamfered in parts. Stepped
angle buttresses leading to clasping octagonal buttresses at the
third stage and terminating in small herringbone lead spires
topped with single orbs. Corbel table extending around
buttresses. The lower 2 stages of the butttresses with nook
shafts apart from the south west buttress which is a stair
turret. 4 sides of the tower with large pointed, stepped arches,
formerly open but now blocked with rubble, responds of circular
columns with moulded capitals, hood moulds over. The west side
now contains a single C20 window with 2 arched and cusped lights.
Over is a single small rectangular light. The north side with a
blocked pointed chamfered arched doorway, the east side has a
single decorative wall memorial surmounted by a single blocked
rectangular light and the south side a C19 pointed moulded arched
doorway with hood mould and label stops, over is a single small
rectangular light and above is a sundial. The second stage has
to each side a blind arcade of 5 pointed arches with circular
colonnettes, moulded capitals and continuous hood moulds. The
second left and right arches now louvred openings. Above, to
each side of the bell chamber is a single detached Y traceried
opening behind which is a further 3 light opening with
intersecting tracery, each light flanked by single colonnette
with moulded capital. Either side are single blind pointed
arches with single similar arches to each face of the buttress.
East and west sides of the tower with single clock faces. The
west wall of the south aisle is set on a moulded plinth and has a
single restored C14 arched 4 light window with cusped flowing
tracery, hood mould and continuous sill band. To the left is the
west nave wall with 2 C12 flat buttresses and central moulded
arched doorway with blind traceried double doors, hood mould and
worn human head label stops. To the right are the remains of 3
memorials. Over is a large C19 arched 5 light window with cusped
flowing tracery, hood mould, C14 human head label stops and
continuous sill band. Above is a single arched and cusped niche.
The west and north walls of the north aisle are set on a moulded
plinth, the west wall has a single restored C15 arched 5 light
window with cusped panel tracery, hood mould and continuous sill
band, which extends around the north and east fronts. The
buttressed north wall, with decorative blind cusped panels to the
western-most buttress, has 2 restored C15 arched 3 light windows
with cusped panel tracery and hood moulds. To the left is the
angle buttressed late C14 porch rebuilt 1873 with single ridge
cross. Moulded arched entrance, the inner order supported on
colonnettes with moulded capitals. Single cusped niche over.
The west and east walls with single pair of C20 arched and cusped
lights with continuous hood mould and label stops. Inner ogee
arched doorway with frieze of quatrefoils to soffit. Rectangular
hood mould with label stops, the spandrel decorated with panels
of blind tracery. To the left of the porch are 7 similar
restored C15 3 light windows withg hood moulds. The east wall
has a single C19 arched 4 light window with cusped tracery, hood
mould and label stops. C18 clerestory of 8 bays with 6 restored
3 light four-centred arched windows with cusped panel tracery,
the outer single bays blind. Single triangular pilaster strips
between each bay. The east wall of the nave with evidence of
former chancel roof. The north wall of the chancel has a single
storey projecting bay with doorway with plank door under C19
decorative flat arch. Over is a single C15 arched 3 light window
with cusped panel tracery. Clasping the north east corner is the
C14 polygonal monk's cell or vestry with conical stone slate
roof, set on a chamfered and moulded plinth and of 2 stages, the
upper stage slightly set back and with chamfered band. The east
side has a decorative memorial, the south side a single window
with 2 arched and cusped lights under a flat arch, hood mould and
label stops. Over is a single small arched and cusped light
under a flat arch. The east chancel is set on a moulded plinth
and has angle buttresses to the south with some decoration.
Single large arched C19 5 light window with cusped tracery, C14
ball flower surround, hood mould and worn label stops. The south
chancel has a single restored C15 arched window with 3 lights
above and below a single transom, cusped panel tracery, hood
mould and label stops. The south aisle is buttressed and set on
a moulded plinth, the east wall with single C19 arched 4 light
window with cusped tracery, hood mould, label stops and
continuous stepped sill band. The south wall with continuous
sill band broken by the porch has 7 arched restored C14 windows
each with 3 lights above and below a single transom, cusped
tracery, hood mould and worn human head label stops. To the left
is the C15 angle buttressed 2 storey porch, the parvise restored
1873, set on to a moulded plinth. Buttresses containing single
niches with hood moulds and finials to the south. Moulded
pointed arched entrance with blind traceried spandrels,
continuous stepped hood mould forming a sill band to the flanking
blind traceried panels. Over is a frieze of blind trefoil
arches, each arch containing a shield, over the frieze is a band
and above a single C19 arched window with 3 arched and cusped
lights, hood mould and label stops. Either side are single
chamfered arched niches with decorative hood moulds and finials,
under each niche is a carved coat of arms. The east wall has a
single small arched window with 2 arched and cusped lights, hood
mould and label stops. To the right is the polygonal stair
turret, the top stage with single arched and cusped light under a
flat arch to each face. The west side has single similar 2 light
windows on each floor. Over the lower window is a single small
rectangular opening. Interior with stone benches. 3 slim
colonnettes on each side support the 2 bay vault of tierceron
stars with bosses. East side with moulded arch to stair turret.
Moulded arched early C14 south doorway with single order of
colonnettes and remains of stiff leaf capitals. Hood mould and
human head label stops. To the left is a fragment of lead
detailing the 1802/3 repairs to the spire. To the left, in the
aisle, are 2 C14 windows each of 3 lights with reticulated
tracery and hood mould. Interior. 7 bay late C12 nave arcades
with round chamfered and stepped arches. Circular columns, apart
from the central 2 to each side which are octagonal, all have
nicked square abaci with scalloped capitals. Triple shafted
responds with scalloped capitals. Continuous hood mould to nave
side and continuous band over. Single human head corbel to south
aisle. Above is the former late C12 clerestory now blind
triforium. Having 7 round arched single splay openings flanked
by single colonnettes with scalloped capitals, hood moulds and
continuous impost band. The opening second from the east on the
south side has been enlarged. The aisle sides with blind
arcading of round arches supported on colonnettes with scalloped
capitals. Continuous hood mould. Heightened chamfered and
stepped chancel arch with remains of triple responds with
scalloped capitals. 2 bay late C15 chancel/aisles arcades with
moulded arches, octagonal columns and responds and moulded
capitals. The west respond on the north side partly C12 being
circular to lower portion. Remains of C12 corbel table to north
aisle side. East window with C14 surround of 2 orders of ball
flower, hood mould and human head label stops. North wall with
blocked chamfered arched doorway, to the left is a single similar
blocked doorway with single remaining stylised foliate carved
capital. Over to the right is a small rectangular squint from
the vestry. North wall off north aisle with doorway to C14
vestry. Ground floor vaulted roof with single central shield set
into a quatrefoil in turn set into a roundel, the 8 radiating
ribs being hollow chamfered. 4 centred arch leading to spiral
staircase. South chancel aisle with C14 trefoil arched piscina
and to the right of the east window a large rectangular niche.
To the right of the south door and continuing to the west wall of
the south aisle is a continuous sill band, corresponding band to
north aisle. South doorway with large rectangular hood mould
with human head label stops. North doorway with similar damaged
hood mould. West window of nave with sill band. North east nave
with small pointed arched rood loft doorway and single small
quatrefoil light over. C19 reredos and tripartite sedilia. C12
ashlar font with tapering octagonal bowl. C19 pulpit. Fine C15
brass lectern in form of an eagle. C17 oak table. C17 parish
chest. Late C17 reredos now screen in north aisle, panelled with
fluted Corinthian pilasters and some decorative carving. North
aisle with former turned C18 communioin rails. Oak poor box
dated 1712. Restored nave roof. The chancel hammer beamed roof
restored 1866 with moulded and carved beams is supported on
carved angels. South aisle with some moulded roof beams. North
aisle with chamfered roof beams. Memorials. East wall of south
aisle to Mary Scrope 1793, the inscription is surmounted by a
decorative carved panel and urn. South wall with cinquefoil
arched tomb recess, the spandrels decorated with dragons. 2 early
C19 memorials and C17 ashlar memorial with illegible inscription,
decorated with a carved figure, skeleton, bell and crossed
swords. The floor with evidence of former C15 brass figure.
North aisle with 4 C18 memorials, that to Amy Delamore, 1735, is
decorated with fluted pilasters and a pediment, another is
decorated with cherubs and a broken pediment. Further memorial
in the clerestory. Several C17 and C18 floor slabs. 2 late C19
boards topped with pediments ansd detailing 'Long Sutton Charity
Lands'. A number of windows with some C15 coloured glass.

Listing NGR: TF4322722875

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.