British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Mary Magdalen, Fleet

Description: Church of St Mary Magdalen

Grade: I
Date Listed: 30 June 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 197992

OS Grid Reference: TF3888823680
OS Grid Coordinates: 538888, 323680
Latitude/Longitude: 52.7928, 0.0583

Location: Hall Gate, Fleet, Lincolnshire PE12 8NN

Locality: Fleet
Local Authority: South Holland District Council
County: Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: PE12 8NN

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Fleet, Lincolnshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TF 32 SE (east side)

10/29 Church of St. Mary
30.6.66 Magdalen

G.V. I

Parish church. c.1180-1190, mid C14, restored 1798, 1843 and
1860-2 by C. Bennett of Lynn. Limestone rubble and ashlar.
Concrete tile and lead roofs with stone coped gables with cross
finials and single small stacks to north-west and south-west.
Nave with north and south aisles and south porch, chancel.
Moulded plinth and regularly placed 2 stage buttresses run round
the entire church. All the window tracery restored in C19. West
front clasped by north and south aisles. String course rises
under a large pointed late C14, heavily restored in C19, west
window with 5 ogee headed, cusped lights with transom, panel
tracery and hood mould. Pointed doorway to right with hood mould
running into string course and plank door. Pointed window beyond
with 3 cusped ogee headed lights, C19 tracery and hood mould. A
similar window in the west of the north aisle. North side with 2
pointed windows to the right, each with 3 cusped ogee headed
lights, C19 flowing tracery and hood mould. Pointed doorway to
left with double chamfered surround, hood mould running into
string course and double panelled doors. Truncated window above
with pointed head, 3 cusped ogee headed lights, C19 flowing
tracery and hood mould. 2 similar full length windows beyond.
East end of north aisle with pointed window with 3 cusped
elongated ogee headed lights, C19 geometric tracery and hood
mould. Chancel rebuilt in 1843. North side of chancel with
outline of 3 blocked arcade bays with hood moulds. 3 C19
windows, 2 with shallow triangular heads and 3 trefoil headed
lights with geometrical tracery and hood mould. One to the left
with pointed head, 3 ogee headed lights, C19 reticulated tracery,
hood mould and head label stops. East end with large pointed
window with 3 cusped ogee headed lights, C19 reticulated tracery,
hood mould and head label stops. Small blind, cusped, ogee
headed opening above. South-east buttress with ornate mid C14
cusped, crocketed and finialled niche. South side with pointed
C19 window to the right with 2 pointed, cusped lights,
quatrefoil, hood mould and head label stops. Eaves above this
bay with foliate sculptured motifs of c.1190. 2 C19 windows to
left with pointed heads, each with central ogee headed light,
flanked by single round headed lights, flowing tracery and hood
moulds. West end of south aisle with pointed window with 3
cusped, ogee headed lights, C19 flowing tracery and hood mould.
South side with part of a blocked doorway to the right with
fragmentary hood mould. 2 windows to the left with pointed
heads, 3 cusped, ogee headed lights and C19 flowing tracery 2
similar windows beyond the gabled porch to left, the latter with
small lancets in return walls. Pointed doorway with double
chamfered head, semi-circular responds, hood mould and head label
stops. Interior flanking stone benches and pointed double
chamfered doorway with hood mould, head label stops and double
plank doors. Interior 5 bay north and south arcades of c.1180
with tall round piers and semi-circular responds; pointed double
chamfered heads. Chancel arch of c.1180 with semi-circular
responds and pointed double chamfered head with hood mould.
Windows in chancel with hood moulds and head label stops. Mid
C14 sedilia restored C19 with 3 crocketed and finialled
gables.Trefoiled heads beneath and ornate pinnacles. Piscina to
left with ornate crocketed and finialled gable, trefoil head and
damaged gables. C15 octagonal font with traceried panels and
octagonal pedestal. C19 parclose screens. Early C14 sculptured
fragment of robed figure. C19 reredos, altar rail, pews and
choir stalls. C19 roofs supported on fine C14 stone corbels of
crouching figures. 5 sided pulpit with fielded panels and plain
pilasters; octagonal sounding board. Monuments include one in
black and white marble to Hannah Frost, died 1831; one a white
and black marble diamond to Thomas Bockington, died 1745. A
white marble oval with draperies, cherub and cartouche to
Wilhelmi Iaij, died 1706. Another in black and white marble with
pediment to Richard Dods, died 1853.

Listing NGR: TF3888123680

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.