Description: Church of St Michael
Date Listed: 4 January 1950
English Heritage Building ID: 199400
OS Grid Reference: TQ3295181101
OS Grid Coordinates: 532951, 181101
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5132, -0.0854
Church of St Michael
TQ 3281 SE 10/312 4.1.50.
1670 to 77, by Wren. Tower 1715 to 21 by Hawksmoor. Remodelled and refitted circa 1860 by Sir George Gilbert Scott. Aisled body with arcades on Doric columns. Plaster vaults. Circular clerestory windows and circular top lights to aisles. West tower, open to church, with vestibule to south and porch, entirely by Scott, to north. Most of exterior is obscured by adjoining buildings. South side of nave of Portland stone with 4 round arched windows filled with C19 tracery. Clerestory rendered with wooden cornice. Tower in gothic style of Portland stone, in 4 main stages. Polygonal turrets with ogee caps. Very rich gothic porch of Portland stone with shafts of polished pink granite to archway and much carving. 1st World War memorial, by Richard Goulden, attached to north-west corner. Small bronze group on narrow stone pedestal. Interior owes nearly as much to Scott as to Wren. Venetian renaissance tracery to windows with fine stained glass. Circular east window above reredos of coloured marble incorporating C17 paintings of Moses and Aaron. Altar rails, tiled pavement to choir, elaborate pulpit and lectern, pews etc all mid C19. C17 marble font on new base and carving of pelican. Good wall memorials.
Listing NGR: TQ3295081099
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.