Description: Church of St James Garlickhithe
Date Listed: 4 January 1950
English Heritage Building ID: 199485
OS Grid Reference: TQ3238480854
OS Grid Coordinates: 532384, 180854
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5111, -0.0937
There is also a scheduled monument, Painter Stainers' Hall, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
GARLICK HILL EC4
Church of St James
TQ 3280 NW 15/408 4.1.50.
1674-87, by Wren. Aisled building with central transepts and clerestory, arranged
within a rectangle from which a sanctuary and west tower project. Red brick with
stone dressings, the walls below clerestory level stuccoed. Round arched windows,
those in transepts reduced to circles; segmental arches to clerestory. Blocked
north doorway. Main cornice of stone with brick parapet. Wooden cornice to clerestory.
West front of stone with scrolls flanking tower which is now largely faced with
Portland stone. Tower plain with pierced parapet and 4 urns. Elaborate stone
lantern in 3 stages with paired Ionic columns etc. Beneath the tower is domed
lobby. Interior has order of Ionic columns on high panelled pedestals, supporting
clerestory and high, coved ceiling. West gallery With 2 decorative iron supports
and fine organ case of 1697. Other good C17 fittings (not all original to church)
include pulpit, marble font with cover, stalls, panelling, communion table and
remade reredos. 2 staircases to gallery probably early C18. Painting of resurrection
at east end. Wall monuments.
Listing NGR: TQ3238480856
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.