Description: Royal Arsenal Main Guardroom
Date Listed: 8 June 1973
English Heritage Building ID: 200484
OS Grid Reference: TQ4374479030
OS Grid Coordinates: 543744, 179030
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4919, 0.0692
TQ 4479 PLUMSTEAD ROAD SE18
786/9/45 Royal Arsenal
Guard house, disused. 1788, built by Isaac Ashton, possibly to designs of James Wyatt. Yellow and red stock brick with limestone ashlar, ridge stacks and hipped slate roof. Single-depth plan with central archway. 2 storeys; 3-bay range. A tetrastyle Doric portico 1 bay deep with a modillion cornice, to a similarly-sized flagged recess, a central doorway with double 6-light doors with raised panels, and smaller ones to the guard houses each side. Segmental-arched ground-floor tripartite 6/6-pane sashes, and gauged brick flat heads to first-floor 6/6-pane sashes with ashlar cill band. Rear has projecting wings each side of the central entrance. INTERIOR: has cast-iron posts.
HISTORY: Used by the Army when it provided guards for the site, and an important part of the C18 Arsenal.
(Wesley H, The Royal Arsenal: a brief history, London, 1987, p10; RCHME report, 1994)
Listing NGR: TQ4374479030
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.