Description: Pinner House
Date Listed: 21 September 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 202008
OS Grid Reference: TQ1246289598
OS Grid Coordinates: 512462, 189598
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5940, -0.3778
In the entry for:-
TQ 1289 NW CHURCH LANE, PINNER
The grade shall be upgraded to grade II* (star) and the description shall be amended
Large house now old peoples' home. Probably Cl7, remodelled early-mid C18 (a brick
reportedly dated 1721); C19 and C20 alterations. Front of red brick in Flemish bond
with darker red brick dressings; returns and rear tile hung above late C20 brick
plinth. Hipped plain tile roof with paired corniced brick stacks at centre.
3 storeys with cellar; 5 bays (3 at rear) x 3. South-west elevation: roll-moulded
plinth. Central bay projects and has giant pilasters rising from 1st floor and
supporting pediment. Central entrance: in projecting, corniced, brick panel; steps
up to door of 6 raised and fielded panels; fanlight with decorative glazing bars;
wooden architrave with fluted Ionic pilasters and dentilled open pediment. Sash
windows: of 20 panes, unequally-hung, to ground and 1st floors with flat brick
arches, the window over door with ogee-carved arch; shorter, of 16 panes, to
2nd floor; all with exposed sash boxes; brick aprons to 1st and 2nd floors.
Segmental-arched cellar windows to 2 right-hand bays. Deep modillion eaves cornice
which returns. Rear: tall central stair window. Right return: 2 left bays have a
2-storey canted bay with 12-panel sashes and cornice to ground floor, 20-pane sashes
above. Mid-late C20 extensions to rear and to rear right. Interior: entrance lobby
has floor of black and white stone; and entrance with columns supporting archivolt,
all in pilastered and corniced surround. High quality early C18 open-string,
dog-leg, stair rising to attic and having panelled dado, twisted column-on-vase
balusters (2 per tread), wave-moulded tread ends, and moulded handrail with spiral
curtails and columnar newels. Early C18 doors, cupboards and fireplaces throughout.
Chamfered beams with pyramid and lambs tongue stops. Right-hand ground-floor room
has early C18 panelling and eared fireplace architrave with elaborate frieze and
cornice; room above also panelled. Left-hand ground-floor room has reset Cl7
panelling. In attic right-hand gable is preserved a pair of principal rafters from
a former lower roof-line. A photo of c1924 shows that the returns were then
rendered rather than tile-hung.
TQ 1289 NW 12/18 21.9.51
Dated 1721. Three-storey. Red brick. Five windows. Steep hipped tile roof.
Eaves cornice. Central bay has pediment on pilasters extending through upper-
storeys. Pedimented doorcase in slight projection, with fluted Ionic pilasters
and fanlight. Some timber framing is visible inside. Late C17 panelling in the
dining room. C18 staircase with turned balusters. Sides and rear tile-hung
Circa 1977. Major extensions to right and rear Circa 1977 (not of special
Listing NGR: TQ1246289598
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.