Description: Church of St John
Date Listed: 25 May 1983
English Heritage Building ID: 202012
OS Grid Reference: TQ1671992164
OS Grid Coordinates: 516719, 192164
Latitude/Longitude: 51.6162, -0.3156
Church of St John
TQ 1692 SE 8/9
Begun 1849 in Decorated Gothic style by Henry Clutton (the surveyor, b.1814).
Graded for monuments transferred from Old Church, including those to John Burnell
(d.1605), John Dalton (d.1785), Sir John Wolstenholme (d.1699) under canopied
monument in tower, Sir John Wolstenholme (d.1634; effigy by Nicholas Stone),
John Wolstenholme (d.1669), John Dalton (by Bacon 1791), Elizabeth Dalton (d.1812)
and First Earl of Aberdeen (by Boehm, 1875). Font also transferred (by
Nicholas Stone circa 1632). Numerous other C18 and early C19 wall monuments in
tower. South aisle has 2-light stained glass windows by Edward Burne-Jones, 1885.
Five-light East window, by Thomas Willement circa 1849 (artist in stained glass to
Queen Victoria). North aisle: centre 2-lights circa 1896 in the style of
C E Kempe, possibly by Burlison and Grylls.
Listing NGR: TQ1671992164
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.