If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Chapel, Ilford Hospital of St Mary and St Thomas of Canterbury
Date Listed: 10 April 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 204816
OS Grid Reference: TQ4354586368
OS Grid Coordinates: 543545, 186368
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5579, 0.0693
937/15/3 HIGH ROAD
20-JUN-03 Chapel, Ilford Hospital of St Mary and
St Thomas of Canterbury
(Formerly listed as:
Chapel of the Hospital of the Virgin M
ary and St Thomas of Canterbury)
Hospital chapel at Ilford Hospital of St Mary and St Thomas of Canterbury, founded c1145 by Adelicia, Abbess of Barking as a hospice for aged and infirm men. Chapel, early to mid C14 and later, with possibly earlier core, repaired 1719, renovated 1781, extended and reordered 1889-90 adding south aisle, Lady Chapel and vestry, extending nave. Organ installed early C20, additonal fittings 1922-4; chaplain's house and almshouses rebuilt 1927.
Rendered rubble masonry, stock brick, stone dressings, tile roof. Continuous nave and chancel, the nave extended to the west; north porch and organ loft. South aisle, Lady chapel and vestry. Belfry over chancel. North elevation, rendered rubble masonry. Porch, probably 1889, of square stone blocks, with tiled roof; diagonal buttresses flank reset early C14 outer arch, restored 2002-3, single lights to flanks, inner doorway and doors late C19 and early C20. Vesica with AM monogram. Flanking windows, early C14 much restored, each of two trefoiled lights under cusped quatrefoil, and with moulded hoodmould. Sanctuary window, early /mid C14, restored, of two cinquefoil lights, under extended quatrefoil, similar window to south, both probably inset in earlier fabric. Organ loft, under catslide roof rebuilding dated 1927. East window, of three-light panel tracery, restored. South elevation, five -bay aisle, Lady chapel and vestry in stock brick with stone dressings, under flat roof. Two light windows, with trefoiled and cinquefoiled lights, those with trefoiled lights thought to be reset from former south wall. Tracery of cinquefoil lights resembling chancel windows. Hood moulds with figure stops. Two light west aisle window under rectangular hoodmould. West end of nave, similarly of stock brick; small west doorway with ogee head , late C19; west nave rose window in rectangular opening, under single lancet, gable surmounted by cross. Belfry with shingled spire set over chancel crossing.
Six bay nave with south arcade of octagonal piers. North nave windows and two of south aisle windows with flat chamfered mullions, the remainder hollow chamfered, Sanctuary, Lady Chapel and vestry windows with deeper chamfered mullions. Close boarded barrel roof, with painted cusped panels over chancel screen; panels to sanctuary roof embellished with gilded stars.. Flat, boarded roof to aisle. Stone pulpit with moulded panels. Nave screen of slender wrought iron, formerly carrying gas lamps, set on tall stone base. Chancel doorway, C19, with cusped head under rectangular hood with enriched panels. Chancel pews and altar rail probably installed by Ingleby, provenance unknown. Fine marble reredos, thought to be Italian, depicting Last Supper behind cusped arcade. Oak panelling with embellished pulvinated frieze, installed 1924. Lady chapel restored 1922-4 as War memorial. Reredos by Ninian Comper. Wrought iron screen. Monument to John Smyth. d.1475, 1889-90, in late medieval manner, replacing former brass. Recumbent figure under canopy, the sides reusing fine C15/C16 panels with blind arcade. Octagonal font to west end of nave, remaining panel from tomb set in south wall above. Floor of black and red tiles with herringbone border. Glass: East window, outer panels depicting Virgin Mary and Thomas a Becket, memorial to Rev. James Reynolds, d. 1866. Former east window glass, C16 or early C17, some to Gresham family, set in north sanctuaryl window. South sanctuary glass, mid C16 Flemish, formerly at All Saints church, Epping Upland, installed, 1889-90. West aisle window, Morris & Co, to designs by Burne -Jones, a memorial to Clement Mansfield Ingleby, of Valentines Park, father of the incumbent. Rose window attributed to Henry Holiday, (1839-1927).
Listing NGR: TQ4354586368
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.