Albert Cottages, Tower Hamlets
Description: Albert Cottages
Date Listed: 27 September 1973
English Heritage Building ID: 205921
OS Grid Reference: TQ3415881954
OS Grid Coordinates: 534158, 181954
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5206, -0.0677
Location: Albert Cottages, Poplar, Greater London E1 5AF
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
788/15/470 DEAL STREET
27-SEP-73 (West side)
(Formerly listed as:
DEAL STREET E1
Albert Cottages. 19-26 Albert Cottages. Artisans' dwellings. 1858 for the Metropolitan Association for Improving the Dwellings of the Industrious Classes. Probably designed by Henry Roberts (1803-1876). Row of none houses, formerly each sub-divided into two units.
PLAN: recatangular plots with wings to the rear, originally comprising three rooms per floor with sanitary facilities; set back behind small gardens, off a paved forecourt.
EXTERIORS: yellow stock brick with red brick door and window surrounds, slate roofs. Each house is two windows wide at the upper floor. Double doors to the ground floor now adapted to single dewelling use. Modern replacement casement windows in place of original sash windows.
INTERIORS: not inspected, believed to be considerably altered.
HISTORY: the Metropolitan Association purchased the site of Victoria [q.v.] and Albert Cottages in 1850: Albert Cottages were built on the site of the late Georgian Pelham Street, which was demolished in 1857. These small cottages, of a kind more commonly found in the north of England, were intended for small artisan families who were unable to pay the higher rents of the larger family units in those dwellings that were beginning to be built by philanthropic housing bodies at this time. Their low-rise density was critized by their own architect, no less, at the time of construction but they now afford a rare insight into the sort of cottage accommodation once common, now scarce, in the East End. The houses were extensively modernised by the Newlon Housing Trust in the late 1970s. The row opposite, to the south, formed part of the same development but the houses have had their doors moved from the front to the back and are not listed. The houses were illustrated in the 1867 edition of Henry Roberts's 'The Dwellings of the Labouring Classes'.
SOURCES: J.M. Tarn, 'Five Per cent Philanthropy' (Cambridge 1973), 26-27; James Stevens Curl, 'The Life and Work of Henry Roberts' (Chichester 1983), 114-115, 196-197.
Listing NGR: TQ3415881954
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.