Former Royal Victoria Patriotic School, Wandsworth
Description: Former Royal Victoria Patriotic School
Date Listed: 3 October 1973
English Heritage Building ID: 207153
OS Grid Reference: TQ2693474283
OS Grid Coordinates: 526934, 174283
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4533, -0.1745
Location: Fitzhugh Grove, Wandsworth, Greater London SW17 7SD
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
TQ 27 SE TRINITY ROAD
1207-/4/8 Former Royal Victoria Patriotic
Formerly school of Royal Victoria Patriotic Asylum. 1857-9. Rhode Hawkins, architect. Converted into art space and offices, 1987. The school consists of regular three-storey rectangular ranges round two open courts divided by a central hall, plus a service court to the east surrounded by a single-storey range with former kitchen (now theatre space) on south side. Yellow brick with
Yorkshire stone dressings. Slate roofs of high pitch. Mullioned and transomed windows with metal frames. Oriel window with bands of naturalistic carving at the base at north west corner. Scottish baronial style with Jacobean and French elements, five towers with pyramidal roofs and many corner tourelles. Ornamental timber fleches over roof of hall and former kitchen. Main front faces west and has central and corner towers, the former having a three-storey stone frontispiece 'culminating in a figure of St George and the Dragon in ornamental niche. Side elevations,with square pyramidal roofed towers as accents on north and south sides. Ranges round service'wing simpler, with some toplighting. Interior generally now quite simple. Symmetrical plan with enclosed cloister walks of one storey with open timber roofs round courts. Two main stairs. The
main hall has wallplate carved with foliage beneath a tripartite boarded roof paned with emblems of countries and towns of Britain and the Empire, painted by JG Crace and restored 1987. Some good boarded roofs in other rooms. Open timber roof in kitchen survives above present temporary structure. HISTORY. The Royal Victoria Patriotic Fund was endowed with money raised by appeal for the windows and orphans at the end of the Crimean War. These buildings were built for the girls' school, which opened in 1859 and moved out of London in 1938. A boys' school was added on a site to the north in 1872-3
TRINITY ROAD SW18
Spencer Park Secondary
(formerly listed as the
former Royal Victoria
Patriotic Asylum) gateway
TQ 27SE 4/8 3.10.73
1857 by Rhode Hawkins, formerly the Royal Victoria Patriotic Asylum. Front
elevation - 2-storeys, basement and gabled half dormers, with central tower and
3-storey towers to corners. Gothic style in grey brick with stone dressings and
stone bands between floors. Slate roofs. Oriel windows first and second floors
of centre and first floor of corner towers.
Listing NGR: TQ2691974270
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.