Description: Church of St George
Date Listed: 6 February 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 212602
OS Grid Reference: SJ9625598966
OS Grid Coordinates: 396255, 398966
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4874, -2.0579
SJ 99 NE STALYBRIDGE CHURCH WALK
4/141 Church of
- St. George
Church. 1838-40. By Sharpe for the Church Commissioners.
Watershot stone with slate roof. Nave and aisles under one
roof with small chancel and west tower (galleries have been
removed and the rear partitioned off). Projecting plinth
and coped gables and eaves. 7-bay aisles have thin
weathered buttresses (set back at corners), a gallery door
in the west bay (now blocked) and lancet shaped windows but
with 2 lights and geometrical tracery - an early example of
the revival of this type. l-bay chancel with 4-light east
window. 3-stage tower has octagonal corner piers which are
buttressed and rise as pinnacles, windows (as above) to the
second and third stage and a clock apperture in stage two.
Interior: chamfered nave arcade on octagonal columns with
moulded heads. Coved ceiling. Alabaster font in the form of
an angel holding a shell. Organ by Renn. Stained glass by
Lightfoot. Carved timber pulpit, reredos and organ casing.
Listing NGR: SJ9625598966
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.