Main Block to Oscott College, Sutton Coldfield
Description: Main Block to Oscott College
Date Listed: 25 April 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 216975
OS Grid Reference: SP0988894038
OS Grid Coordinates: 409888, 294038
Latitude/Longitude: 52.5441, -1.8556
Location: 8 Butlers Close, Birmingham B23 5YQ
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
In the entry for COLLEGE ROAD
3/12 Main Ascott B23
Main block to St Mary's
The address shall be amended to read COLLEGE ROAD
Main Ascott B23
Main block to Oscott
New Oscott B23
Main block to St Mary's College
(formerly listed as St Marys
Seminary excluding Chapel
and The Chapel of St Marys
Seminary under Moseley)
SF 09 SE 3/12 25.4.52
1835-38. Planned as a Roman Catholic College, following the Emancipation, by Dr Mirk,the missioner at Lichfield, with Joseph Potter of Lichfield as builder and architect but with Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin providing the decoration and finishes of the Chapel and the sculpture. Red brick stone dressed college buildings in a simple Tudor style ranged with a main front to the south-east with gables end crenellated parapets; mullioned-transomed windows. The central block of the south-east range is of 4 bays on 3 storeys and has gables flanking the central tower with tiered large oriel window and octagonal staircase turret. Lying behind this block is the cloister flanked on one side by the Chapel and museum and on the other by the 1920s addition of the informary, but with original coach house range and plain service wing behind it of red brick with slate roofs. In 1837 Lord Shrewsbury introduced Pugin to the College and he immediately supplemented Potter in the decoration and furnishings of the Chapel and the firm executed much of the furniture still servicing in the College. Potter's simple still Georgian Chapel, albeit with a Tudor style roof, was completely decorated by Pugin in rich polychrome patterns which together with the furnishings, a number C15, C16 or C17 acquired in the Low Countries by Pugin and Shrewsbury during their tour in 1841, form a unique combination of medieval and Revival Gothic, following the principles enunciated in his 'Contrasts' of 1836. Pugin's only structural alteration was the provision of the shallow apse in 1861. Edward Welby Pugin added the Weedall Chantry: the four side chapels to the south-west. Stained glass by Hardman and Warrington, the latter executing the exceptionally fine east window to Pugin's design on a C14 model. To the
north-east of Potter's cloister is Northcote Hall of 1859 by Edward Welby Pugin completed in 1881 by Peter Paul Pugin, red brick stone dressed in demonstrative Gothic and the library and students' common room added 1927-8 and 1950-72 respectively by G B Cox.
Listing NGR: SP0988894038
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.